• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Drivers Seat Won't Go Backward

europaman

Hi All,
I just upgrade from a '02 Avy to a '12 LTZ. The truck only has 25K miles and the drivers seat won't move backward, only forward. I believe it is called an 8-way seat, having lumbar, tilt and recline. I took out the switch and determined it is not the problem; getting equal continuity readings on the pins that drive it foreward and back. I jumpered the two that should have ran it back but nothing happened. My questions are how do I prove the motor is bad in one direction...or that the relay or memory module is at fault. The truck has the memory seat option too. Any help in the way of parts procurement would be helpful too.
Troy

ANything jamming the track?

Which seat do you have

Attachments

• 07up seat.GIF
    07up seat.GIF
    36.7 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long to answer.
I have the second type which has memory and is heated and cooled.

OK the motor for the seat front and back movement has 2 plugs on it you want the one that has 6 wires the other one has 4

Attachments

• seat an3.GIF
    seat an3.GIF
    24.4 KB · Views: 98
  • seatan31.png
    seatan31.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 96
So I'll read from pin 6 to chassis ground somewhere (since I don't see a ground wire on the plug), activate the switch to "back" direction and if I get 12 volts the motor is bad. If I don't get 12 volts it either the wiring or the memory module. Is that sound reasoning?

Before you do anything else, try resetting the controller.  There is a relay you pull out of the fuse panel labelled seat controller I believe...

Thanks.....the panel under the hood I'm assuming. Just haven't made it a priority to do anymore that looking at connectors and for loose wiring so far...Its difficult for me to see anything much under there. I'd love an easy fix for a change...

I don't know about the '12, but on my '03 there are 3 panels: hood, driver side near door, and driver side near e-brake.  For mine, it was the panel near the e-brake.

marzahld....The location you referred to is where I found circuit breakers for seats..but thanks, that's something I didn't know about.

MS03 2500......After reconnecting the memory box under the seat I disconnected the plug you show in the picture that goes to the motor and found the following.

Putting a dc meter on pin 6 to ground and actuating the switch to the back direction I initially get 0 volts. On releasing the switch the meter reads 2.5 volts. This happens with all the other switch positions once the switch is released and is at rest.

However all the other switch positions indicate 12 volts with the switch held in their respective position but not the one for "back" position. In addition, with the connector loose, pushing it to the forward position I can hear a relay click. I don't hear the clicking of the relay when pushed to the "back" position.

In the beginning I did a continuity check on all the contacts of the switch and all read identical. But I am wondering if there was a load across the "back" contacts would it still pass current. Assuming it would, the evidence points to the memory box or whatever its called, being bad.

Is it possible to remove the memory box with the seat installed in the vehicle?

Standing by for you or someone to shoot this down in flames.

Something else just occurred to me.. the other plug with 4 pins. Whats it for? Could my problem of not traveling in the "back" direction have anything to do with any limit switches that prevent it going too far and burning up a motor? I guess what I am trying to say is could the circuits in that 4 pin plug be open or shorted to give this problem, or any limit switches themselves, if any exist?

The second plug is for the memory part.

My last reply seems to have vanished, so I will repeat it here but just in summary. Anyway, I ordered a module from a GM Parts place in Arizona. Replace the memory module under the seat. Took it to the Chevy dealer and the programmed it and everything about the seat is working again. So, thanks to all for your support especially the correct pin-out of the connectors that helped me troubleshoot the problem.

Back