• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for the Spare Tire Carrier/Hoist Bolt Size

Markie93

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 2004 Avalanche with the spare tire sitting inside of the bed... meaning the spare tire carrier/hoist had failed in the past. The previous owner uninstalled the hoist completely, including the bolts.

I got a new spare tire carrier, but it doesn't have the bolts. Does anyone know the bolt size or thread size of the bolts used to secure the carrier to the truck?

Thanks,
Jake

There is quite literally nothing online it seems. In case anyone need this info, the pitch is 1.5 mm. 8 mm bolt diameter is too small, and a 10 mm diameter is too big.

What I did was bought a 10 mm x 1.5 bolt, and used a 10x1.5 mm tap and made the whole a bit bigger. Then used loctite to ensure the bolt wouldn't come out. That worked great for me.

Sometimes with things like that you just have to MacGyver it lol.  Glad to see you got it figured out, now just be sure to keep the new winch mechanism well lubricated especially the part that secures the tire in place.  The secondary locking mechanism is well known to rust and seize up.

Back