• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avy 2500 series, no start

CarMech1969

As can be expected, things can go wrong.  :help:
Last night, after a prolonged dry spell, it rained stupid amounts of precip.
Water leaked through the windshield seal and onto the dash and  steering column.
When I tried to start this morning, no luck.
It just starts and stalls, as if it is not getting enough gas.
Truck ran prefectly before the rain.
Now my question is: Could something have happened to the Passlock system? It's acting like it needs a relearn.
i'm thinking something got wet in the steering column and buggered things up.
Still won't start, after being parked in the sun all day.

Anyone experience something like this?
In the meanwhile, I am going to try the relearn procedure and see what happens.

Keep on keepin' on  :yourock:

CarMech1969

Well I did the relearn procedure with three 10 minute cycles of the key, and the truck started, and runs fine.
The Security light stays on though.
What's up with that?  ???

CarMech1969

SECURITY Indicator Illuminates when Engine is Running - If the theft deterrent control module is unable to measure the ignition key transponder value or the PCM loses communication with the theft deterrent control module while the engine is running, the indicator will be illuminated.

Can you have it scanned for body codes?

ItsStopher said:
SECURITY Indicator Illuminates when Engine is Running - If the theft deterrent control module is unable to measure the ignition key transponder value or the PCM loses communication with the theft deterrent control module while the engine is running, the indicator will be illuminated.

Can you have it scanned for body codes?

Thanks for the feedback ItsStopher!!  :0:

The truck has a remote start system (aftermarket) on it.
One of the key fobs stopped working properly, and when I replaced its battery, it wouldn't work at all  :E:
I very seldom use the remote start. Was wondering if I should remove it and make sure all the wiring connections are good before I mess with it any further.
I did have a quick look at the wiring for the BCM, and I could see corrosion starting on a few pins.
Also found splices all over the place - none of them soldered. Got tired of looking at this mess, and ran out of patience with it.

What kind of scanner is capable of pulling GM body codes?

Thanks again!!  :B:

CarMech1969

If you see pins that don't look too good, cleaning them would be a good place to start.

Are there any numbers on the remote or on the remote start module?

I have a Snap On Verdict D7 that does just about everything. There are many scanners out there, if you look for one make sure it can read P, B, C and U codes.   

I would remove Remote Start system as 2002 did not like them much and many people on here had many issues with them.... like what you are describing.

Thanks guys for your response.
At some point, I will locate the module and have a look at whatever numbers are on it.

To be continued...

CarMech1969

UPDATE:

Today, I removed the remote start system, and the Passlock bypass module (as far as I can tell) that was connected to it...and the Security light still stays on while running.
Disconnected the battery, and waited about 10 minutes. Same thing happens.
I then decided to follow the diagnosis on this page:
http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...ted.  :help: 'Til next time... CarMech1969

Well if you ever come to new Hampshire I will fix it for you. I can program it with my scan tool or disable it with my HP tuner.

ItsStopher said:
Well if you ever come to new Hampshire I will fix it for you. I can program it with my scan tool or disable it with my HP tuner.

You're about 550 miles due east of me!  :p Lol
Thanks very much for your help though.

CarMech1969

I had something similar happen with my CTS after a rain storm with a plugged sunroof drain line. Was an ignition switch issue. Waited 3 days and it dried out.

but I unplugged battery and left it closed up in 90F days.

Got going again today with this bloody problem  :E:
Pulled the TBC fuse from the fuse block.
Then, I cleaned up the pins on the BCM, and many of them were corroded.
Got 'em all shined up bright and clean.
Did the best I could with the connectors - I ran a small piece of metal into each pin hole to scrape them down as much as possible, blew them out and sprayed a bit of ignition wire spray into them just to protect it a bit hopefully.
Tried to get it to relearn, but wouldn't do it.
And then my battery went dead, even with a charger connected to it. Yeah, it's junk, apparently.
Oh well. At least it's running.
Guess I'm gonna have to track somebody down that owns a Tech 2.
Or, I suppose I could just give the PCM a Blackbear tune, and get rid of the Fuel Enable feature while I'm at it - and never worry about being potentially stuck somewhere ever again.
SMH. Stupid water was the cause of all these problems.  (n)
Was not getting any time to deal with the windshield leak, up until just recently.
I want to start swearing now, but I won't. Won't make a speck of a difference to the current situation.

Until next time...

CarMech1969

if you have another car to drive you can mail me the pcm and I can program it for you.

As a matter of fact, I have my trusty '92 GMC Sierra  >:D
What kind of mods could you make to the PCM, and what would it cost?
PM me the details if you like.
Thanks ItsStopher for all your help.

CarMech1969

Back