• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

loose headlights when trailer connected

ezstriper

when I tow a trailer and start up after dark, no headlights or driving lights, high beam works fine(thank God) unhook trailer, restart no fix, let sit over night, back to normal and never a issue without trailer. did this with 2 different boat trailers, any idea's ???

I saw on the other thread you posted you have installed LED lights. They may be your problem and you should follow the other poster's idea in the other thread about going back to stock lights and see if that cures the problem first.

I am not an electrician but maybe something to do with electrical system sensing the load or resistance or lack thereof? I do know LEDS use less current and some systems need resistors installed for the lighting to work correctly.
The idea of returning to stock is just a step in diagnosing problem since that may be the only thing you have changed and if problems show up after the change then maybe the change is the problem....
After that you would probably need a voltage meter to check for current draw and grounds on each circuit to eliminate a bad circuit or ground on trailer and the AV, just my guess on that one though.

Back