• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'02 2500 hesitation problem

Foothills_GT

Okay, so here's my issue. When I'm running the a/c in my truck, there is a noticeable miss or slight hesitation, especially when I'm driving to & from work on interstate. The truck accelerates perfectly and the only time I notice it is when I keep the truck at a steady rpm under 2500. I thought it might be a bad coil, so I purchased a new GM coil & swapped it with all 8 original coils - with no change. I'm going to change the fuel filter, but I don't think this is the problem either, but it's something that needs to be done.

The truck has around 161K miles and it has a Blackbear tune & 180? thermostat. (The hesitation was there before I changed thermostats) I installed a set of Denso platinum plugs and new stock wires about 9 months ago. I don't notice the miss when I'm towing our camper, only when it's not under heavy load. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

One of the easier things you can do to cure driveability issues is to clean the MAF.

If it was an engine miss you would get a check engine light for sure.

Just be sure to use MAF cleaner only. My 496 really runs a lot better with a clean sensor

7070079_crc_05110_pri_larg.jpg

Okay, so I cleaned the MAF sensor with the CRC cleaner & the hesitation is still there, but the truck's throttle response seems to be much better :) Going to change the fuel filter this weekend, then I might try a different set of spark plugs.

You did not put those twin tips plugs in it did you

MS03 2500 said:
You did not put those twin tips plugs in it did you

I do believe that I may have......Denso 4511 (Platinum TT).    Could this be the problem???

I saw a post somewhere that suggested running Champion RS12YC in the 8.1L (gapped at .055")

Yeah it's best to go with a AC Delco Platinum, these motors really do not respond well to split tip E3 etc.

I set mine to 60 as ?t always has been

Back