• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Can I use a 05 PCM in a 03?

Doorguy

I have a 05 that I am parting out.  I removed the electric fans, wiring and relays from it and intend on installing them in my 03.
My question is this.  Can I also use the PCM from the 05 in the 03 so I dont have to get the 03 PCM tuned for the fan pins?

Yes and No..

If the part number is the same then yes you can use it but you will still have to have it tuned to your vin number.

So No you can't just use it as is..

I had the same question. I am now the owner of a 2003 ECM and I have a 2006. Where should I get it tuned. And suggested tunes?
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but just a related question.

V. Anthony said:
I had the same question. I am now the owner of a 2003 ECM and I have a 2006. Where should I get it tuned. And suggested tunes?
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but just a related question.
That is a very good question.  I guess I will need to find someone to tune for me.

Nelson or Blackbear...  More local shops are popping up all the time also but these guys know what their doing..

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Also these tuners swap ECM's, you give them your VIN and they program a ECM and send it to you programed and then you send yours back or pay a core charge.. Since you have a extra ECM, even though it's not the same PN they may take it for the core charge and you keep your original ECM.

Randy said:
Nelson or Blackbear...  More local shops are popping up all the time also but these guys know what their doing..

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Also these tuners swap ECM's, you give them your VIN and they program a ECM and send it to you programed and then you send yours back or pay a core charge.. Since you have a extra ECM, even though it's not the same PN they may take it for the core charge and you keep your original ECM.

Thanks.  I will look into them

Probably much easier, quicker, and probably cheaper to just have the 03 PCM tuned to turn on the fans.

Thanks for all the info guys.  One more question.

Can I have the PCM tuned to turn the fans and still use the AV with clutch fan until I get around to installing e fans?

I believe so...

Also to make the E-fan install easy Nelson makes a relay harness with instructions to make hooking it all up easy and reliable..

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/fan-harness

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/fan-harness-instructions

Doorguy said:
Thanks for all the info guys.  One more question.

Can I have the PCM tuned to turn the fans and still use the AV with clutch fan until I get around to installing e fans?

Yes.

And as Randy noted you can get a harness from Nelson Racing.  I've been using one in my 03 for about 10 years.

If you are located near me (southern Indiana) I can also tune your PCM for the fans.

Other than changing out to electric fans due to higher RPM on your motor why would you bother?

You have less drag on your motor with electric fans in a normal vehicle but the mechanical fans are supposed to put out much more air.

Or has something changed?

Always been told that mechanical fans move much more air than electric. Unless of course the engine is off... ;)

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
Other than changing out to electric fans due to higher RPM on your motor why would you bother?

You have less drag on your motor with electric fans in a normal vehicle but the mechanical fans are supposed to put out much more air.

Or has something changed?

Always been told that mechanical fans move much more air than electric. Unless of course the engine is off... ;)

Rodney

The main reason is for the noise level.  I hate how loud the clutch fan is. (and it is not old and worn out. Its brand new)
From everything I have read on this site, electric fans are better.  And I have all the parts and pieces so why not do it.

I went to electric fans for four reasons in this order.

1. To make the AC work better in 90-100 deg stop and go traffic where there is not enough air flow through the condenser to pull the heat out. It blows ICE cold now no matter how hot it is.

2. To reduce the engine coolant temp in the same  90-100 deg stop and go traffic where there is not enough air flow through the radiator to keep the temps below 200 deg, typically 210 deg...  It now runs at 180 deg in stop and go traffic with AC on, also changed T-Stat to 180 deg and tuned for it.

3. To pick up a few Horsepower by removing the stock fan. When you were towing and that fan would engage on a hill you could feel the power getting sucked from the motor. Now no power robbing fan drag..

4. Possibly pick up some MPG's. Maybe picked up half a MPG hard to tell but it defiantly can't hurt.

Another thing that was a side benefit was that when you shut off the motor on a hot day and the heat soak from the motor increases the water temp and would rise to 230 deg and the motor would be making this tick, tick, tick sound of thermal expansion. That no longer happens and that has to be good for everything under the hood belt's, hoses etc..  

Flex-a-lite 284 universal 6000 CFM with a Flex-a-Lite controller VSC 33054

Most car and trucks come standard with then now so that should tell you something has to be good about them.

Note: I did not mean to offend anyone with the tone of my message. My intention was to ask because I don't know the answer.

Randy, do you have your fans running for a few minutes after the truck is off? I have heard of the fans running based on the temps but with the engine off I would think you almost need an electric water pump too to make it work...

I would suggest increasing the size of your alternator with electric fans unless you are already running atleast an 145amp alternator. Those electric fans suck a lot of juice.

No offense taken Rod...

I did have a 200 amp alternator on when first put the E-Fans and also for the amps but it took a poop. It had about 180,000 miles on it so I put the stock original (145 amp I believe) one back on and honestly it works just fine. No dimming lights or flicking voltage meter and the stereo cranks just as good (1000 watts total). I do have dual batteries and up sized the cables and extra ground i.e. The Big 3 plus 1.. I did pick up a new 225 amp alternator but haven't put it on yet..

Yes, the fans will run after you shut if off and it has never caused a problem. They will cycle a couple of times which tells me that the hot water is moving even after shut down (heat flows from hot to cold), so the fans cool the radiator down and shut off, a few minutes later they kick on again. I welded a threaded bung on the radiator tank just below the inlet neck for the threaded temp sender so it's being measured near the top of the tank.

Fans have been on for around 44,000 miles, zero problems..

Attachments

• Fan Inst.jpg
    Fan Inst.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Rad Shr.jpg
    Rad Shr.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Rad.jpg
    Rad.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 49
Nice did you make the shroud to fit the radiator.

redheadedrod said:
Note: I did not mean to offend anyone with the tone of my message. My intention was to ask because I don't know the answer.

Randy, do you have your fans running for a few minutes after the truck is off? I have heard of the fans running based on the temps but with the engine off I would think you almost need an electric water pump too to make it work...

I would suggest increasing the size of your alternator with electric fans unless you are already running atleast an 145amp alternator. Those electric fans suck a lot of juice.

No offence here.  I only have one feeling and its hard to find. :D

MS03 2500 said:
Nice did you make the shroud to fit the radiator.

Yes, I fabricated it to slide right into the tabs that Be Cool put on it to to mount the factory fan shroud. The top of the shroud locks over the top as it slides into place and there's a rubber gasket that seals the sides and bottom.

Randy said:
Yes, I fabricated it to slide right into the tabs that Be Cool put on it to to mount the factory fan shroud. The top of the shroud locks over the top as it slides into place and there's a rubber gasket that seals the sides and bottom.

I knew it I've been searching for one for that big azz radiator. I guess I'm going to have to buy a metal brake and bend me one up.

Do you mean like this upside down one?

Attachments

• 20160808_210431.jpg
    20160808_210431.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 26
I'm going with a smaller one first, I can't believe no one makes a shroud for the 38 inch core radiator

Nope.. I looked and looked but ended up making my own.. I was going to buy two smaller ones and weld them together but that would have cost a lot more than just buying the aluminum sheet and fabricating it from scratch.. I also have a 48" shear, makes for easy cuts...

I get my metals from http://www.onlinemetals.com/, pretty reasonable..

Thanks for the link, I bought a regular shroud to use as a template.

Back