• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

20,000 miles and already toast

frito

PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2018
PM 2017
So I had my brakes replaced about 20,000 miles ago.  The rear included new calipers, pads and rotors.  I haven't heard any noises from them (i.e. no wear indicator) until last night.  They started grinding when braking last night and now today they are noisy as Hades whether braking or not.  I tore into them tonight and this is what I saw.   :E: :E: :E: :E:
TIkQ_gIQnQ5-9ndsmbJk_hx7o6A6auT4P5NdjwANwzwZBB5r6jkEKuXua9t9ZtFFDHx3cyr8NnVCj2tYyhs3vVGelzvPrqLM5XjbSVhX76O5Kj5_yhmaE5TWQ4faPjtD1pckpLSvE44BoW80UBsCv8t6AnP24uJM1LQPUs30ZvlHjzPZEbwgvTz_BcTwwcMD2Ul0FX_0uc6X8MLzyty5GvHIUP_JMS8FSbrxOwt2MbLM2iSUrqv7eHsz1fbgD6gQaVnWnEhIx7EmNTcj6ZGwkDH85uiSgfEe1hqNQNmo1Yt15hQscCnxdSKr-9QpyfV7qLlq5qkvxey5FgeBJtAyYXjbGA7nXaTTOfyl5qtpKInZb5vChkKgWn_PlApB269zT66iPcYQs2DGWAQk0fH5PnR2ci_olHNgFzbxwWoJAGj1NXf50z311AKptVOQ6kzC6anMxMcwpNFWLeKbVEdAYsJli8D3aWT0MskXtm8I518wax2pPGy9o7shZ6Ry7pl3ug7Sngi53ZCEqGuZVtp9x_YsXUsOeds__ebTWXoh0SaNTGtYUgjh2ySx6ydlkalK3HKcCvQgpoIqQx5rybKxqA_ePGvA4fQ=w1280-h721-no

xnUj8KiPsV9Lag5zdjrWfksDF7gZX1CLMTraG1xC_k2ufwjL6NwYLg8oZiYdbQcoFmc_fhim1zsLVDgnCu4ZKGp7Ihw_ZxoSdgjmGV76Vczn1AeexqABHZrrwKe5QyYfaWHYacMLPCS1JkDA2vPxYCMeH7snUAGjn5p0N_P6ebgDY3Uw3XN70tWh9NMQGkyTPQAVyAajUx8iJa4RwT6B-ebnSfF2qNDXtj4PfekzVKz_AzMFaLIyxXzjAyyRyBdBjoujNQBmhrFT22KmWm4DilqmNY0Z17BYk8OPNdzNcqhCjU2UbHKUq9My-mSDVt-YuEfdz5Zbophu4--f1YLJ8KgpI_YjmFgyGgSmfU-gO6wYDBxDnODU8Bq0qeDQDDQzs-n1IJH5AlMkuwcFK8z0xRoWRTY9PtDERPh2oWPq4sRHcPeDXCyEQq09HvUkWLOddcPC9u0XkAlc3LxuuvTiXfuhc_f28QeGlbs9j-fDOniOIuq_BFJEF2V20yEnkCK4yY8MVmweyMvlDobdUBFU9-MRnJ5oiSv9SDLxXCriT1qlGWno9ur-gEgXv-014uoQPNL15IbKpyEqHQpEC0tcA0KSHyEAKx8=w529-h939-no

R7c7m4jh_ikiGtnyGyzKy2yLI_oO3W9l1jkRzl74PCDzvo87Owb0aOP3gxv4rJp-KctSkia7JRgqXAoQIH-Z7qH8Ik7uASTbBKvgu61OJVOIQPfTtLLgTOWcKjsr8smWfavTuM5cvFPoA2js_ePAz2gGs9Sui0AtGPgi20ybhkoMEcMNlLVVhPb_H8IwkIf351JLslUQDQ6rim0E-5nWsEPinOZG5iJg6aLrJ0sWqGQkl_rdaqmxmSezHLqbSQ46rojKnUv32emLrA2aEVwiMQ3A6BIY1jpLoVJELr7v0W4MazQgBnrbcuXf4ANUUYkH8flNGgF2bUjpuJstysmB-VSsqSimpgUQ5QB0VFmVt-TQmD7M1WA9OIEJm_6ij_3ES5PDWBdr13JGSHV1EjY1BBYpcI1NULoMVWyTBqvU56XLkz8Qq01FfgbET2ff2K-F0CLCkCKd7sMOl23nGq20tRJPkhYC_KWHiPP4rnlEMEoCijiGkztwYuNXJc7XlyuEQ-mN8DIEcV4OBjxoSSLdFwzF4iucW9c7rFMDdDmLU3yyN0vc6MSU2YvxmrAWIJRoFZ9497H-1pqs23RkKVTYyhgjG0bVtow=w529-h939-no

What's frustrating, in addition to the fact that I should get far more than 20,000 miles on new brakes and that the wear indicator should have given some advance notice, is that a large percentage of those miles are highway miles as this is our long distance road trip vehicle.  UGH!!!  I think I might order a full Power Stop setup from Rock Auto.  Maybe I'll actually have decent brakes after that.  

After all the money I sunk into this money pit before vacation and now this, I'm half tempted to take a sledge hammer to it.

I see what's wrong

Were they EBC Green/Yellow stuff by chance?

Randy said:
Were they EBC Green/Yellow stuff by chance?
No, just whatever "standard" stuff the shop I went to at the time used.  Doing it myself this time.

FOr some reason picture links are not working

Hmm, that's odd.  They look fine for me.  Let me check my Google settings and see if some thing is wrong with them.  I wonder if I used the link out of my main photos vs. the shared folder I created for posting links.

Yep, got them from the wrong location.  I think you should be able to see them now.  Thanks for letting me know.

I was thinking the same thing.  I should have tried to compress it last night but ran out of daylight.  I'm a bit miffed if it is stuck since it was replaced along with everything else.

Has anybody used the Advance Auto Carquest Wearever brakes?  I was thinking about upgrading to Powserstop all the around but three of our four vehicles have decided to drain the pocket book together and the Bimmer just hit 200k miles and should be given a preventative once-over.  I think I'm going the bear minimum route this go around and will upgrade all fours the next time the fronts need replacing, unless of course that turns out to be next week.  :rolleyes:  Anyway, any experiences with the Carquest stuff?

enoniam said:
Looks like a stuck caliper or slides.
for sure as one pad gone and the other is fine.

X3 on the slides or pins

Ordering new rear rotors, pads with all the hardware, pins and pin boots.  Doing the Advance Auto route for now to keep the cost down.  The performance route will just have to wait.  Already have the brake lube - gonna make sure it's good and lubed up.  I'm just glad this didn't happen when we were on our vacation, 2,500 miles away, in Canada.  OIY.  I still need to change out the brakes on my wife's Flex as she has one chewing into a rear rotor and a wicked pulsation up front.  Now if I can get her to get rid of all the crud from her parent's house out of my garage so I can pull them in to work on them...   :needhug:

Well, ended up replacing rotors, pads and pins all the way around.  Took ten times longer than it should, as it usually does with me, but I used this opportunity to wire brush all the rust and crud and make sure it's good and clean.  Did a proper burnishing tonight.  Three of the four corners seem good.  They were cool by the time I parked and most of the break in odor was gone.  The right front however, which actually looked the best of the four prior to starting, was very hot when I parked and smelled more than the other corners.  :E:  Guess I'll be tearing back into that one to see what's going on with it.  Once I get this sorted out I get to rinse and repeat with my wife's Flex.

Most of the replacement pads I have bought over the years tend to fit VERY snugly in the slides, even if you clean the bracket mounts real good and insert new slide guides. So I now take a small grinder and trim up the pad ears until the pads can be placed into the slide with zero effort. All the brake lube in the world is not going to help unless those pads can float freely in the guides.

Thanks.  That's the odd thing.  Of all four corners, this one seemed to move the most freely and have the most "float" when I reassembled.  I'm too sleep deprived to deal with tonight.  I'll probably look at tomorrow night.  It can wait a few days since it's not a daily driver.

SOunds like stuck caliper on this right front which tends to happen when you have to squeeze the piston back into caliper they tend to get a rust line behind them as you drive and when you push it back in it runs over this rust line and messes things up and the piston cannot move freely when you take foot off the brake.

Or it is slide pins, or pads etc.

Happened to me on last brake pad change. seems one always ends up sticking after you get it all back together and take that first test drive.... Heck I could feel it as the truck did not coast very well....

Gets hot real fast like 1/4 mile or less.

Oiy, don't say that.  I don't want to mess with a line.  I'm going to grease up the slide pins, which I replaced with new, a bit more and work the caliper piston.  I doubt it's the rubber line only because the one acting up was the best looking corner upon disassembly.  The pads were in good shape and were wearing evenly on Iboth inside and outside.  The inside pad on the other three corners had more wear than the outside.  Nothing as extreme as the first post, but it was noticeable.

It was a slide pin.  I made the mistake of replacing the rubber boots on that side.  One tore as I was assembling it over the weekend so I used the boots I was going to use on the driver side to replace the broken one.  While taking it out again, the rubber "slide", for lack of a better term, came out so I replaced it with a new one.  That is the one that ended up sticking.  I tore it apart, lubed it up, put a new "slid" in the caliper, lubed it up some more and it seems to be OK now.  I took a temperature reading of all four corners after driving it and they were all within ten degrees or so.  Fingers crossed that this is it and this round of brakes lasts until it's paid off in three years.  That's when I hope for the fun to begin. 

UGH!!!  It started sticking again this evening.  I was in stop and go traffic on the highway and after a lot of braking a vibration in the right front that went away after the brake job came back at 70 mph.  Then, when I was at a red light getting off the highway my right front was smoking.  I checked the rotor temps all the way around.  The other three corners were a bit over 200 degrees.  The right front was over 500 degrees.   :E: :E: :needhug:  I guess I'll be replacing front calipers and brackets this weekend.  This is not what I had in mind for my weekend.   (n)

Man you are having a ton of problems with your brakes.  Sometimes it best to just replace everything.

MS03 2500 said:
Man you are having a ton of problems with your brakes.  Sometimes it best to just replace everything.
Yep, I'm kicking myself in the rear right now.  I thought long and hard about doing an entire Power Stop replacement kit that included pads, drilled & slotted rotors, calipers and caliper brackets.  I decided tto hold off until the next one which should be after it's paid.  I think it's the slide pin in the caliper bracket still but at this point I'm giong to replace the caliper, bracket and the rubber brake line feeding the caliper.  Between this and my wife's Flex, I feel like I've spent my entire summer doing nothing but brakes.  Meanwhile, my Bimmer with 202k miles needs some long overdue TLC.  TLC that I've been putting off because of Bumblbee and the Flex. 

UGH. Not brake relatedd but I don't want to start a new thread.  I noticed a couple week? ago my rear differential, which had a new home installed about 20 - 25k miles ago. is leaking.  Well, I checked this morning and it was low - took 2/3 quart of fluid.  I'm so ready to break out my Ruger and put it out of my misery.  I saw a sweet Blue '02 on the FB page that may go up for sale - and just a couple hours from our house to boot.  If I can sell this thing for more than I owe, and if the price is right, I may just consider it.

Back