• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Towing 4'x8' U-Haul trailer

thoskins

I drive an 05 Z71. I will be towing a 4'x8' u-haul trailer here in a few days and from what I understand the u-haul trailers come equipped with surge brakes and not electric brakes, so this means I should not need a brake controller correct? Will I need anything else other than the 7-way to 4-way adapter in order to make sure the trailer brake lights and turn signals will light up? This will be my first time towing with the av, so forgive me for being such a newby here. Thank you all!

Most U-Hauls I have ever rented came with surge brakes.

They do this since they have no way of knowing what each renter's vehicle is capable of.

The rental store may also have any adapters you may need if you don't want to already have one on hand.

Call ahead and check, just to be sure.

Happy and safe towing!

(y)

As far as the brake, no you do not need a controller.  Their trailers are not equipped with electric brakes.  The tongue has a twist down connection, and the brake is purely mechanical.  This means that you can use a ball hitch from 1 7/8 - 2".  With my Av, which is an 08 Z71, I need a 7-pin:4-pin adapter to make it work.  Good idea to get the lot attendant to show you how to secure the trailer properly, then you can be confident everything is good.  Good luck and drive safe!

There is a spring in the a frame of the trailer. As the load shifts forward towards your TV, it starts to apply pressure to the spring, and proportionately applies the brakes. They do work well.

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses. Just so I'm understanding this correctly, I shouldn't have to do any extra wiring under the driver's side dash nor under the hood of the Av? Just need the 7-pin to 4-pin adapter (which I do already have luckily).

Tom

It has been too many years since I was doing some stuff with towing, but I seem to recall there was a 40 Amp fuse that needed to be installed in the box inside the hood to make the trailer wiring work correctly. For some reason, GM left this fuse out. Please, others chime in and confirm or deny. Thanks.

If you bought this Avalanche used, the previous owner may have already installed it.

Also they do not have a standard light connector they have individual wires.
So they make you buy an adapter connects to a 4 pin trailer connector and then has individual wires for their Techs to hook up and check lights.

Normally they will hook up trailer and make sure lights work before letting you drive off.

Keep the adapter thingy in a the side bin when done for the next time you need their trailer.

Looks like you are good to go for now.  For future towing you might consider doing what I did.  I put a standard 4 wire towing connector on the rear opposite the 7 pin connector.  I tapped into the appropriate brake, running lights wires on the back of the 7 pin and hooked them to the 4 pin so the 4 pin can carry the turn, brake & running lights. No more adapters just plug into which ever one you need..

I thought the 40 amp fuse was only necessary for the hook up of a brake controller? Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Back