• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gear ratio question & tow handling

spidey

Hello all,

Since this site is always the place for answers, and seem to be getting different answers from other sites, thought to get it straight from the horses mouth

I have a 2012 LT with the towing package.  My friend has a Silverado 1500 and we were talking gear ratios and the like since he might be getting a TT.

reading a lot on the site, I see people saying some AVY's have the 4:10 ratio, while I have the 3:73 according to the dealer paper (although I may have to look again because some sites say the max is 3:42)

Is that the z-71 that have the option for the 4:10 option.  Not that I am trading my truck in, just curious

Also, with the 3:73 ration, is the 8100 lb towing down to 7900 if its a 4 x 4 (which mine is)

Another question is towing and handling.  Been towing an Outback 250RS which is 5900 lbs dry for the last four summers.  This summer we are only camping close now becaue of the way my truck handles and my wife gets scared when the wind picks up and its like the trailer is driving you instead.  And to be honest, long hauls are very tiring for me because its just hard towing.  Semi drives by me on a double lane, and it feels like Im getting sucked towards him.  

I have an equalizer bar and a sway control installed (just one side) and try and load the trailer correctly.  When parked somewhere it looks level, and as far as I know truck payload isnt over the GVRW.

Getting it speed limit and staying at that limit are a problem to, just seems to be straining to keep it at 100 kmh.  And steep hills of course shows its limitations

Is there anything a person can do to improve tow handling?  I know there are others on here that tow the same trailer and say they dont have issues.  Am I just over capacity?

Accorinding to Mr.Bill on his sticky above

Trailer Weight Rule of Thumb
Maximum trailer weight being towed...should only be 75% of the weight rating of your tow vehicle. (CGWR being taken into consideration). If factory rating is 5,000 lbs. trailer,... a 3750 lb. trailer weight is recommended, etc. If 7,000 lb. trailer is stated,...a 5250 lbs. trailer weight is recommended, etc.

If thats the rule, then if I have 7900 (4 x 4) my max should be 5925, 8100 (4 x 4) my max should be 6075 lbs.  So dry I am almost at max already if I follow the 75% rule

We are considering downsizing trailers in the next 3 years when the kids are grown up and we wont need the room.   Some sites I am on say that downsizing from a 28 ft trailer (bumper to tongue) to a 20 ft wouldnt make much of a difference.  Which I dont see how shaving off 3000 lbs would not make a difference.

I also have it marked down that the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) = 14000 lbs  Is that correct.  And if not, how do you find that number

And also, maximum tongue weight rating.  What is it.  Every website I go to the answer is different.  Is alot of this stuff in the actual manual?

Thanks

Edit.  Never mind, this is right from Chevys mouth

http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2012_Chevrolet_Avalanche_Manual_en_CA.pdf

When looking at gear ratios you have to know you are comparing apples to apples since before 2009 all AVs had a 5 speed transmission and from 2009 on they went to a six speed transmission and the transmission gearing was different. GM was going more for increasing gas mileage. Is your friend's Silverado a 2011?
You could consider changing the rear drive gear ratio to improve acceleration but it may cost you some in gas mileage.
4X4 does decrease towing capacity slightly due to the total gross weight figure and they have to include the weight of the 4x4 transfer case etc.
Lots of things can affect towing stability not just weight but how it's distributed such as are heavy stuff placed high in the trailer? What condition are the trailer tires and AV tires? Are they right inflation and load capacity and tread depth? Some trailers are more aerodynamic then others and may tow easier and less susceptible to wind gusts.
Are you sure the weight distribution system is set up properly or are you just going by looks?
Some members found towing improvement by adding airbag assists to both sides of the rear of the AV. You may find some improvement with doing that assuming everything else is set up properly.
Good luck with your efforts for stability.

blazzinbird said:
Sorry but the avy has a 4 speed trans. Well my 04 does
Did you miss the part that anything after '09 has a 6 speed? The OP stated that his is a '12 which means he has a 6 speed. '02-'08, they came with the 4 speed. Plenty of documentation on this site if you don't believe me.  :p

Spidey, Just get you a new Silverado. Mine has 3.42 rear end and an 8 speed tranny that gives me a little over 11,000LB towing capacity.  (y)

Back