• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help with 06 aftermarket radio

numb1zero

Hi guys
I bought a new head unit expecting to have it installed in a few minutes.  I've installed dozens of these things in the past without issue but poking around online has led me to believe that these GMs are wonky...

2006 avalanche base

I've followed the wiring diagram to wire acc power to acc power, ground to ground, and lined up the speaker leads but im not getting any power at the head unit. 

I keep reading about an amp that may or may not exist, hundreds of dollars worth of adapters,  etc.  I just want some help ?

I do not have bose as far as I can tell,  no bose logos on the speaker covers. I do have onstar but couldn't care less whether it's functionality is retained.
I would like to utilize the steering wheel controls but my priority is on powering this thing. 

I can't figure out what to do with the following lines in the aftermarket harness

Yellow,  12v constant.  Probably just gonna run a line to the fuse box and find my own constant as none seem to exist behind the factory radio.

Blue/black,  remote turn on.  Tried wiring this to the 12v acc power but that didn't work,  where are people putting this?

Blue,  antenna b+ (is this just for cars with powered antennas?)

Orange/black,  illumination (no clue what that is... Or where to put it)

And the swc lines (swc1, swc2, and swc grouns)  I imagine ill need some kind of adapter to get steering wheel control functionality and this isn't the issue today.

Any advice?

See below in Red
numb1zero said:
Hi guys
I bought a new head unit expecting to have it installed in a few minutes.  I've installed dozens of these things in the past without issue but poking around online has led me to believe that these GMs are wonky...

I can't figure out what to do with the following lines in the aftermarket harness

Yellow,  12v constant.  Probably just gonna run a line to the fuse box and find my own constant as none seem to exist behind the factory radio. It's been a long time since I had my 05, and don't have the diagrams anymore. I see no issue with this.

Blue/black,  remote turn on.  Tried wiring this to the 12v acc power but that didn't work,  where are people putting this? That is for turning on amps/signal processors etc that you would like to turn on with the head unit, AKA a remote, remote wire, remote turn on, accessory lead, amp lead, on lead. if you're not running anything besides the head unit, just cap it

Blue,  antenna b+ (is this just for cars with powered antennas?) yep

Orange/black,  illumination (no clue what that is... Or where to put it) You can connect it do the dimmer switch in the headlight control, or to the gauge lights and it will automatically dim the display at night.

And the swc lines (swc1, swc2, and swc grouns)  I imagine ill need some kind of adapter to get steering wheel control functionality and this isn't the issue today.

Any advice?

Thanks for the clarification but I don't think adding the illumination wire will help me get power to the unit.  I assume that it has something to do with the amp that is apparently behind the globe box but I can't find any consice information.

I do have the memory (constant) line connected to acc power for now knowing that no memory will be retained just hoping that it would help the unit power on but no luck.  Still no power to the new new head unit at all

To get power to your head unit you will need to go one of 3 routes.

After 2002 there is no ignition or turn on wire to the unit. It is done via data bus commands to the radio.

To get this turn on power you have to do one of 3 things.

Add an adapter. This will also give you your chimes as well. They can be had cheaply. I paid $20 for the one I used in my cavalier.
PAC has many different variations. Basically these decode the data bus communications and turn on the radio for you.

Find an ignition source in your ignition switch. This will give you your radio whenever the key is on. But you lose chimes and RAP (Ie your radio will turn off as soon as ignition is turned off)

if you REALLY want RAP and know how to wire a relay you can hook up the +12 volt lead to one side of the coil and to the common pin on your relay and the normally open pin to your radio turnon lead. The negative for the relay goes to your BCM for the sunroof relay feed. That is the only RAP location I have found in our trucks that doesn't require using a data bus command. The BCM pulls the relay ground. It is normally used for the sunroof relay. If you HAVE a sunroof you need to find the sunroof relay and just run a power lead from its output to your radio directly. The Sunroof relay should be mounted in the dash to the right of the glove compartment if you have one. My truck doesn't have a sunroof so doesn't have one.

Your BEST option is the convertor module.

If you have a center console you likely have bose... Haven't seen a 2003-2006 with console that didn't have BOSE.

If you have a center console pull up the drink holder and look under the storage compartment and you should see the amplifier.

Back