• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing factory amp (W/pic)

Oxsign

I'm looking at removing the factory amp & sub from under the console. Along with that I'd like to get rid of the harness as well. My question is aside from loosing the 12v outlets and rear radio controls in the console, what other "issues" will I run into by doing this??

Making me jealous..... Wife want let me take out our console! But it does have the air vents to the rear

ckeene said:
Making me jealous..... Wife want let me take out our console! But it does have the air vents to the rear
I'll be keeping the console, just gutting it for the amps going in.

Be careful you have a couple of  Constant Battery Power wires in there.

I know nothing of the newer consoles but the older one you could leave the harness in place...

My console has no BOSE components in it.. No amplifiers or speakers either.

My console actually is sitting in the basement waiting for me to rewire my truck.

I have a PC where the factory AMP goes, a vehicle interface module and my power distribution stuff for the electronics will all go where the subwoofer used to go.

I would guess you should be able to disconnect it with no issues but to know for sure trace each wire where it goes. You could have additional sensors in the console. Also be aware you will need to dissipate heat for those amplifiers so expect to mount fans too. Won't be good for the bottom amplifier unless you have active cooling...

redheadedrod said:
Also be aware you will need to dissipate heat for those amplifiers so expect to mount fans too. Won't be good for the bottom amplifier unless you have active cooling...
I will have the AC duct in there from the rear AC in the console. I'll also have a pulling fan on the other end to help pull the cool air over the amps. There'll be about 1"-1.5" between each amp to help with circulation of the air as well. In the pic about they are just sitting there to get an idea of the space I have to work with.

I've found the constant power wires and plan on tapping into it and to my 12v outlets.

Back