• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP! Anyone have luck with trans from salvage yard??

About the best you are going to do with a salvage yard tranny is a 90 day warranty.

How much?

Cost me $1700 to have mine rebuilt, 1 yr warranty. And he did some improvements that he says bulletproof the 4L60E a bit.

MS03 2500 said:
About the best you are going to do with a salvage yard tranny is a 90 day warranty.
True. That's a good point.

AirJunky said:
How much?

Cost me $1700 to have mine rebuilt, 1 yr warranty. And he did some improvements that he says bulletproof the 4L60E a bit.

What was wrong with yours? Mine is a common problem of the 3-4 clutch failures.  (only have gears  1&2) I'm asking because they're telling me that  the "Only real option is to install a remanufactured or new trans." If it can be rebuilt for a chunk less $, I'm probably all for it.

Mine was a clutch failure in the EXT, also.

I had mine rebuilt.

I did a pan drop and filter change last week before a trip to the coast.

At that time, we saw I had put four years and 66,000 miles on the rebuild up to that point.

I have always just had mine rebuilt on any truck that needed it over the years.

I've never had to do it on the same truck twice and I tend to put well over 200K on my trucks before I dump them and move to the next one.

I have always felt the used transmission from a parts yard is an unknown quantity.

That one may be just miles away from the same failure you have in your original transmission.

If I had to get one from the salvage yard due to the original transmission suffering major damage, I would have the salvage yard transmission totally rebuilt before it was placed in my truck.

90 day warranty be damned.

I would be fine with buying a quality remanufactured unit.

But straight out of the junk yard, no thanks.

I don't want to take a chance on having to go through that kind of repair any time soon.

Too much of a hassle, even on a good day.

Lotsa good info here, thanks.  I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

1- have mine rebuilt and upgraded, kinda  like you said, for $2.8k total.
One year, unlimited milage warranty.

2- buy reman, $2.9k total, 2 yr (forgot if there's a milage limit or not) It's been reman, but prob not upgraded.

What you guys think? I'm thinking #1.

EXT4ME said:
Mine was a clutch failure in the EXT, also.

I had mine rebuilt.

I did a pan drop and filter change last week before a trip to the coast.

At that time, we saw I had put four years and 66,000 miles on the rebuild up to that point.

I have always just had mine rebuilt on any truck that needed it over the years.

I've never had to do it on the same truck twice and I tend to put well over 200K on my trucks before I dump them and move to the next one.

I have always felt the used transmission from a parts yard is an unknown quantity.

That one may be just miles away from the same failure you have in your original transmission.

If I had to get one from the salvage yard due to the original transmission suffering major damage, I would have the salvage yard transmission totally rebuilt before it was placed in my truck.

90 day warranty be damned.

I would be fine with buying a quality remanufactured unit.

But straight out of the junk yard, no thanks.

I don't want to take a chance on having to go through that kind of repair any time soon.

Too much of a hassle, even on a good day.

I would be interested in knowing what the upgrades are for option #1.

That price without any substantial upgrades would be a tad high around here.

My rebuild was just short of $2000 for parts, labor and sales tax.

I did not have any upgrades added at the time of the rebuild.

An $800 upcharge better put some pretty shiney parts in there, I would think.

Well, that's depressing.

I didn't get all the details about what the upgrades consist of, he just said they "replace parts that are known to wear out" or something to that effect.
Car repairs been killing me the last few months. Guess there's no way around it.

[dquote author=EXT4ME link=topic=150381.msg2141738#msg2141738 date=1472264431]
I would be interested in knowing what the upgrades are for option #1.

That price without any substantial upgrades would be a tad high around here.

My rebuild was just short of $2000 for parts, labor and sales tax.

I did not have any upgrades added at the time of the rebuild.

An $800 upcharge better put some pretty shiney parts in there, I would think.

I think I would be looking for a more reasonble tranny shop!

Didit

Call around and get a few prices....

They should be able to do on the phone.

Heck check Checvy dealer and ask them too.

I would get 3-4 prices before deciding.

I hear you guys. And the options I listed were the cheapest two thus far.
$3.4k $3.5k & $3.6k for 3 other places to replace with reman.

I did try a local dealership after reading your posts. $3400 rebuild...  :/

Rev I'm sorry but those prices are stealing, maybe thats the price of the area your in in Oregon, dunno, however you might try jasper engines and transmissions, you can get an online price at there website if I'm not mistaken, also it might pay to call someone a couple of hundred miles away and see what price they give you, rent a trailer and pull it to em, lol.  just sayin......

Didit

I don't have an itemized list of the parts replaced in mine, but if I remember correctly, the problem with mine was burned up clutches.

I know they replaced all of the clutches and related parts and I had all new solenoids installed AND a new torque converter.

None of the gears and such were bad and were not replaced.

My truck also has the 4L65E transmission that is slightly more HD that yours, but not by much.

I think it is supposed to have five planetary gears instead of the four the 4L60E has.

At least, that is what I understand.

But all of that was good in mine.

Whatever you do, make sure a NEW torque converter is part of the package.

If they put the old torque converter back in, you might as well drive to the next transmission shop down the road and make an appointment for your next transmission rebuild.

RevRichmond said:
What was wrong with yours? Mine is a common problem of the 3-4 clutch failures.  (only have gears  1&2) I'm asking because they're telling me that  the "Only real option is to install a remanufactured or new trans." If it can be rebuilt for a chunk less $, I'm probably all for it.

I lost 3rd & 4th, burned up clutches, at like 145k miles. Upgrades in the rebuild included an extra disc in the clutch pack & a pressure regulator from a Vette that raised the pressure like 30 psi. And a new TC. Warranty is 1 yr, don't recall the mileage limit. But he said that it would raise the trannys strength & durability to more equal the 4L80E.

Thanks for all of your replies guys.

My transmission has been rebuilt. The gentleman said that it has been upgraded, too, though I'm not exactly sure what all that includes yet. It DOES include a new TC.

Total price is almost $3,100 which is including the tax.

Includes the 1-year unlimited-mileage warranty.

Now the question is how long do you think it will last? I don't do anything with it nor abuse it. I realize it's being rebuilt at a different shop, but how long has your rebuilt transmissions lasted?

RevRichmond said:

My transmission has been rebuilt. The gentleman said that it has been upgraded, too, though I'm not exactly sure what all that includes yet. It DOES include a new TC.

Now the question is how long do you think it will last? I don't do anything with it nor abuse it. I realize it's being rebuilt at a different shop, but how long has your rebuilt transmissions lasted?

When they rebuilt mine they also said it had been upgraded but I don't remember what they upgraded either.  You should be good for awhile and since you have a 1 year, unlimited mile warranty, run it hard to make sure its done right. 

If they really did upgrade it it and you don't drive hard I would think it should last a long time.  The key is to perform regular, preventative maintenance.  Make sure you replace the fluids in both the transmission and the transfer case on a regular basis such as 30,000 - 60,000 miles.

RevRichmond said:

Mine was done just over 6 months & almost 10k miles ago. I tow a 5k lb boat pretty regularly with it. I'm able to watch the transmission temp with the Torque app on my droid cell phone & have seen temps as high as 207. It shifts firm, has even barked the tires a few times when I'm gettin on it. Time will tell how well it works for how long. Meanwhile I'll be driving it like it should be.

Back