• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Holding Value?

Biglurp

Just wondering if the Avalanche's are holding value better or worse than an average truck. Thinking of trading in on a Tahoe.

Thinking of going on Tahoe owners site to see if someone looking to trade to Av..

Cehck various websites for your current trade in value.

as varies based on where you live

I have noticed trends in the last couple years, while searching for the "perfect" second AV..

I'm not super motivated to buy another one, unless exactly what I wanted fell into my lap.

That being said, they have really gone up in price over the last couple years, from what I have seen.

A clean 100k mile AV a few years ago would run you 10 grand at a good price, now they are selling in the 12-14 range it seems..

Our 2013 Black Diamond stickered for $54k, and we walked out the door with it for $42k financed with another 7,500 off in flex fuel tax credits.. So, when all was said and done, we got the truck for right around $34.5k

Right now, NADA values it at $36k clean trade, and $39k clean retail with 34k miles..

They are becoming INCREASINGLY harder to find as well, in good shape.. IF you want an 03-06 with decent miles, no rust, and good options, there isn't much to choose from. Even the 02's with 60-80k miles are going in the 12-14 range..

Bottom line is, since the quit making them, the nice ones are holding their value more (in my opinion based on trends that I have seen)

Many people still have the mentality that "its a used truck, whats the big deal" "I am not paying that much for a used truck" but the truth is, that they are becoming increasingly harder to find, and most of the time you are going to pay top dollar.

Sometimes, one comes along at a great price, but not very often..

I agree that you should check sites like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com to put in as much info as you can to get pricing in your area.
If you also price out a Tahoe you can see what the pricing difference is between the two vehicles to see if you are getting a good deal or not......
The increase in resale value could be due to the economy getting better and new pickup/SUV prices climbing combined with lower gas prices. Big trucks sell well when people aren't worried about gas prices. If they do go up it may hurt resale or trade-in pricing on our used AVs.

Seems to be holding pretty well.

Bought my '03 with 180,000 miles on it in 2010 for 10.5k. Currently with 260k miles and no rust Ive seen similar trucks for $8k and not nearly as clean as mine.

For comparison, my 2009 Cadillac CTS I purchased with 150k miles for $8.5K. So within short order my truck with 100k miles more, 6 years older will end up being worth more than this car.

Original Pricing for both vehicles is similar so it is interesting to see the difference in value..

Rodney

4x4dreamer said:
I have noticed trends in the last couple years, while searching for the "perfect" second AV..

I'm not super motivated to buy another one, unless exactly what I wanted fell into my lap.

That being said, they have really gone up in price over the last couple years, from what I have seen.

A clean 100k mile AV a few years ago would run you 10 grand at a good price, now they are selling in the 12-14 range it seems..

Our 2013 Black Diamond stickered for $54k, and we walked out the door with it for $42k financed with another 7,500 off in flex fuel tax credits.. So, when all was said and done, we got the truck for right around $34.5k

Right now, NADA values it at $36k clean trade, and $39k clean retail with 34k miles..

They are becoming INCREASINGLY harder to find as well, in good shape.. IF you want an 03-06 with decent miles, no rust, and good options, there isn't much to choose from. Even the 02's with 60-80k miles are going in the 12-14 range..

Bottom line is, since the quit making them, the nice ones are holding their value more (in my opinion based on trends that I have seen)

Many people still have the mentality that "its a used truck, whats the big deal" "I am not paying that much for a used truck" but the truth is, that they are becoming increasingly harder to find, and most of the time you are going to pay top dollar.

Sometimes, one comes along at a great price, but not very often..

I'm in the same boat here for the most part. I checked the 2 sites last week just for girns and at 37.5K miles, I was showing up within $150 of each site to be $37,400 to $37,550.

This is for the 2013 4x4 Black Diamond with everything but the upgraded shocks or what ever they are referred to being called. Neither site requested some additional items it was delivered with from the factory, running boards and such. Oddly, they did ask about the floor mats which I purchased from GM. I knew the carpet types would not hold up. I actually ordered 2 sets of the Rubber Type with BowTie Logo as I expected one to wear out and not be available when I'd need to replace it.

It is in Remarkable condition and agreed to be so by my Mr Goodwrench Guy. Every time I take it in for oil changes or with this warranty stuff, I start getting phone calls and emails begging and groveling for this rig.

It has been a Garage Queen when at home until last Friday when my door decided to become cranky. Repair guy is due any minute now and I have a new Opener to go with it. I installed this door and opener in 2003 when I acquired the my first Avalanche.

I was surprised, but my 2010 Avalanche was the same way too. I've never been upside down with the Avalanches since the first in 2003.

The only mechanical issues I've had was the Heater Exchange Core going out inside the cabin at less than 18 months though very lightly used, and just last week, the Right Side Motor Mount. My Mr GoodWrench Guy said this was not uncommon for these models across the line, Tahoe, Yukon, Urban Subs & such same models. He should know. It was a Drive Train Warranty with a Colorado Loaner. It had 1,400K miles. The poor thing had a tough time getting out of it's own way. I don't drive with a heavy foot either.

redheadedrod said:
Seems to be holding pretty well.

Bought my '03 with 180,000 miles on it in 2010 for 10.5k. Currently with 260k miles and no rust Ive seen similar trucks for $8k and not nearly as clean as mine.

For comparison, my 2009 Cadillac CTS I purchased with 150k miles for $8.5K. So within short order my truck with 100k miles more, 6 years older will end up being worth more than this car.

Original Pricing for both vehicles is similar so it is interesting to see the difference in value..

Rodney

I bought the Bride a 2004 CTS in February 2004. She drove the crap out of it for 4 years until she retired from teaching. I put salt on her tail and had her start using her mother's Camry. She wasn't using it and all the driving for doing stuff was with her mother 25 miles away. I kept it in the garage for a few years and got the miles back in spec with the years in service. It was still worth very little than I expected.

I just about wrung the guy's neck at CarMax or some such place when he low balled it at $4K. I have a friend with a consignment lot and he was able to get $10.5 after 4 weeks. It had 75K miles when I sold it 2013. The only trouble with that vehicle was a cooked battery and the left rear anti skid sensor stuff went out once. Naturally the Sensor was out of warranty.

It was top of line model too.There were no other options available. It sat on the lot since it was delivered in late September 2003 and I found it in late February 2004 and they really wanted to get rid of it. I was able to go a tad lower than the Friends & Family Certificate a good member on this site provided.

I had no expectations for having 2 new vehicles within 6 months back then and have not had since. The Bride is no longer a Licensed Driver and the Mother-In-Law has since passed.

Also, I didn't mention in my earlier post about the Avalanche. I've always been able to get well below $12 for more off the sticker without even beginning to haggle. Why did they price them pretty well and then just about give them away like that?

It is strange how trucks hold their value. KBB on some normal 4x4 trucks 2014 with 30k miles seem to be at $30-35k but I can go to the dealership and get a 2016 4x4 with similar options for $35-40k. Why would anyone buy used for that little of a price difference?

And our trucks, a lot of the low mileage sub 80k miles, are still fetching $25-30k. my '07 KBB was almost $22k with 130,000 miles 4 years ago. I purchased it for $15,800. I even got a letter in the mail from the DMV asking to show proof of purchase because they thought I lied on the purchase price and they wanted me to pay 'actual value' taxes, not purchase price taxes.

Truck now has 181,000 miles and KBB is about $12,500.

Back