• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

recirculation door/ motor making noise need help please

djfcars

Here is what I know:  When the door closes/ moves to one position to the other, it sounds like the motor is trying to close the door after it is already has closed.  And after it initialy closes the door it tries to close it more and you then hear a squeaking noise followed by a click like plastic material ready to break. 

It repeats this every 10 seconds while the truck is on.

Questions:Is it  the motor is bad or something else?  AND has anyone have any idea how much the dealer would want to fix this?  I can remove the dash pad and change it but I can only change the motor and hope that it was the only thing I need to do without calibrating the new motor. 

I would be willing to pay a dealership $200 to $400 to fix this, but won't for $1000-$1300.

Thanks,
Dino     

Have you had any work done on the system or electrical work done lately? If so from what I have read there is a relearning process that needs to be followed to get the controls to reset. I don't remember the exact procedure but I believe it involves disconnecting battery and setting all the controls to off and after some time reconnecting the battery and starting the AV without touching the climate controls and letting them go through a relearning calibration itself before turning knobs.
This may help you if you find the procedure on an older thread and it's free. Other than that I guess it's parts replacement time?
Good luck.

Did your battery die or did you give someone a jump. Just how old is your battery.

Battery has been in vehicle since late 2011.  Starts fine, charging system within spec.  Overall the truck is in great shape....except this!

You may want to have the battery load tested, they usually only last 3 years unless you have a AGM battery. Do that before you try the relearn procedure.

Yes, the battery is old but still has the power to start the truck like it's new.  I have a stress tester and have checked it regularly but even if it would fail, why would that cause the door motor to do this? 

This must be a rare situation I have because I have searched high and low for this and the only problem that I find is the blend door malfunction that leads to blowing hot air on one side.  Tons of people with that.  I will call the dealer and see if they can give me a straight answer on how much it would cost to replace the door motor.  Then I will decide.  Removing the dash pad worries me a little as some that have done it report that the clips that hold it in by the windshield may break.  For me that means potential rattles that would drive me nuts. 

Thanks,
Dino Falabrino

Back