• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

opinions wanted, upgrade to 2500 worth it or not

TTAmoneypit

I have the chance to buy a black 2002 2500  my 1500 looks the same

2500 is in very nice shape(only seen pics) just under 100,000miles  4 inch lift, snow plow, headers,dual exhaust, hypertech , transmission was rebuilt 2,000miles ago  rust on quarters repaired with new quarter panels

so with trading a motorcycle and maybe an AR15 I can get this for $7,000

just wondering if its worth my time or if I just shouldn't even bother. I don't tow anything.  I just want more power and i like the lift kit and plow setup

is it worth it?  will the 496 be a freakin beast compared to my 5.3?  will it get 5 mpg?  I only ever got between 10 and 14 on my 1500

should I just say f#*%$! it and take $12,000 cash and finance the rest to get a duramax for about $28,000 ?

or just keep driving my avalanche thats paid off and reliable?

No if you don't need it for towing

Are you planning to keep the 1500 as well? Will you miss the motorcycle and Ar-15? Do you live in an area where the snow plow will come in handy or maybe make you some spare money clearing lots?
Yes you will drink more gas with the 2500 and it would come in handy when towing but if you aren't going to tow or haul heavy loads why spend the money and assets to get a vehicle with unknown total history of maintenance/damage or flooding. You have to accept you are looking at a 14 year old vehicle and it's bound to have hidden issues due to age etc.
If it was me I would just put a lift kit and maybe a Magnussen supercharger on my 1500 AV. (it will give you the added performance without MPG suffering.) And you can rest easy since you know history of your AV.

thanks guys

I'll just keep my money in the bank  was just wanting more power,but screw it  these things are just heavy tanks  its just a daily driver

I think that's a good idea. Now don't get me wrong if you get a HP tuner and remove some of the Torque Management it will run 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and top speed over 140 MPH just like any other Big Block Chevy.

You will break a few parts thou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv874RNCNxY

Not to mention I would avoid buying a vehicle with a plow or a lift installed... this one has both. I would keep the 1500 in your situation  (y) :wave:

wyotonka said:
Not to mention I would avoid buying a vehicle with a plow or a lift installed... this one has both. I would keep the 1500 in your situation  (y) :wave:

Sound advice there!!
They say to check any 4x4 truck for evidence of snow plow use before buying it.
'Cause if it had one, the truck's mechanicals will be already beaten half to death.

CarMech1969

CarMech1969 said:
Sound advice there!!
They say to check any 4x4 truck for evidence of snow plow use before buying it.
'Cause if it had one, the truck's mechanicals will be already beaten half to death.

CarMech1969

Never buy a snow plow truck... As already mentioned... Unless you basically get it given to you...

Tow trucks are generally beaten to death. Drivetrain and suspension components are first to go. And bent frames are common too.

I wouldn't mind getting a 2500 Avalanche in a couple years but not sure of the years they were built. My other option is to go with a newer diesel. When I buy my own house I will want a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to be able to pull a nice sized camper as well as my toys...

If they made the 2500 in the newer body styles I would get one. But thought they only came cladded and in the first couple years or so. Had a chance to buy one when I got my 1500. Wish I had bought it now. Was totally loaded and about 2k more than my truck was.

redheadedrod the 2500 was made from 2002 to 2006 and you are right that they only came cladded.

Back