• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Officially an AVer!

Macboy

Well, I went with the 2004 after firing up the paint chipped '07 and being greeted by a lot of lifter noise. Fortunately I'd connected with the '04 owner just in time to have a quick look and listen JUST before I went to see the '07 so I had something to compare against. There was no comparison. I guess it's like I've read on here many times - it's not the age or the mileage, it's the life it's lived to that point.

It appears my black LTZ had a pretty good life so far. Just a sensor code to dig out and many happy miles to share. I've even ordered the Napier tent for it! Seems like the sort of thing that should always be in the truck. Some funny critter somewhere programmed the seat "exit" position to be as close and crammed against the steering wheel as you can get. I felt like I was in the compactor scene in Star Wars. Hahaha

I've decided against putting in a new head unit and instead opted for a nicely designed Bluetooth hands free visor mount unit - which incidentally cost far, far less than a new HU and all the adapters, connectors etc that would have come with the Bose install.

First family trip this weekend - the kids are excited to watch a movie on the same TV - we used headrest attached dual screens in the Trailblazer. Even more excited to use the headphones with no "string". Me? I'm excited for the first back-window-out drive and the first big dump of winter snow when I'll go to an undisclosed location and get to know the handling characteristics of the truck. I knew before I bought it that it wouldn't be the only Avalanche I ever own. But let's see if I can get a few great years out of this one first :)

Congrats, the older ones are simpler to work on as long as they are not a rust bucket.

Congrats.  Hope you get many years and miles out of her.  Agree with MS032500.  There's a certain beauty in simplicity.

The '04s are the best year ever.

Ask anyone.

Enjoy your new truck.

(y)

Well it's been almost three weeks and I sure love it. Everything about it. Except one thing I guess but it's a first world problem so I'll get over it :)

The tent arrived Friday and has its own spot in the box where it can stay so it's always handy. The fuel economy is maybe only 3-5% greater than my Trailblazer was but the creature comforts and power in reserve don't come close in comparison. It's amazing...all that time spent longing for a Tahoe when it was the Avalanche the was the beyond perfect fit for me and my life and hobbies.

Have you figured out what the CEL is yet? It turned out to be the knock sensors on mine. The rear one was severely rusted. Ran a lot better after I replaced them. I bought my '04 with 163,000 miles, and I'm surprised how solid it drives. They really do seem to be well-built. 

I love my 04 also, Great truck, just passed 200,000 miles and I have to put a new transmission in it, also had my transfer-case rebuilt, other wise all else going great!

MS03 2500 said:
Congrats, the older ones are simpler to work on as long as they are not a rust bucket.

I officially bought and transferred ownership of my brother-in-law's 2002 AV over to me as well. It's not a rust bucket at first glance, but underneath it's getting there. :( I hope to save it, otherwise this will be one of the shortest owned vehicles I ever had.  I'm surprised how quickly they do/did rust, almost like an import. I hope to post a pic soon or have it somewhere like in my signature or avatar.

Back