Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/17/17 10:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I emailed GM about the Avalanche/High Dessert option  (Read 10894 times)
PromptCritical

Agent of Entropy

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 10/18/16 11:08 am »

It seems GM is like most manufacturers in that the research and development department is very heavily guarded and won't release info on future projects until the top brass is ready for a press release.

Not too much of a problem since GM owns the patent on the defining feature: https://www.google.com/patents/US6796600

Also, they have a split midgate patent, but apparently never used it, which is a shame since the seats are split 60-40: http://www.google.com.sl/patents/US6786535

And this interesting contraption: http://www.google.co.ug/patents/US6742834

Toys list:
2011 LT Z71.  Black. 5.3L/6L80. Mods: 6" Fabtech lift on 35x12.5x18" tires, ProComp Rockwells, Bilstein 5100's, 3.73 gears, TruTrac, Diablo tune, GM Aux. Tranny Cooler, Weathertech, Tailgate Assist, BedRug, Black OEM grille, Black bowties, ALL glass tinted.
Tesla ≡ Reservation
1999 Tahoe 2-dr Z71 Sport.
1971 K/5 Blazer CST.  Ochre.  GM Perf. 350HO Crate, Roll bar.
2001 Suntracker 30 Party Hut. 3 AGM batteries w/ isolator, 1000W system.
Assorted things that go boom, bang, and pew.
av-summit

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 10/18/16 12:08 pm »

Thats cool
4x4dreamer
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

Have you checked your local GTG thread?

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: 10/19/16 06:47 am »

Not too much of a problem since GM owns the patent on the defining feature: https://www.google.com/patents/US6796600

Also, they have a split midgate patent, but apparently never used it, which is a shame since the seats are split 60-40: http://www.google.com.sl/patents/US6786535

At the bottom is says in 2012 "expired due to lack of fee payment"

I wonder if that means that the patent itself has expired?

Have you heard???  The 2017 National and Avalanche Family is coming to STI..
Click Banner Above for More Info
PromptCritical

Agent of Entropy

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 10/21/16 02:27 pm »

At the bottom is says in 2012 "expired due to lack of fee payment"

I wonder if that means that the patent itself has expired?

I saw that. If so, I'm hoping Tesla includes a midgate in their pickup truck.  For a company with a small vehicle selection, that sort of versatility would be a big plus.  "Avalanche" with a Tesla drive system?  Yes please!

Toys list:
2011 LT Z71.  Black. 5.3L/6L80. Mods: 6" Fabtech lift on 35x12.5x18" tires, ProComp Rockwells, Bilstein 5100's, 3.73 gears, TruTrac, Diablo tune, GM Aux. Tranny Cooler, Weathertech, Tailgate Assist, BedRug, Black OEM grille, Black bowties, ALL glass tinted.
Tesla ≡ Reservation
1999 Tahoe 2-dr Z71 Sport.
1971 K/5 Blazer CST.  Ochre.  GM Perf. 350HO Crate, Roll bar.
2001 Suntracker 30 Party Hut. 3 AGM batteries w/ isolator, 1000W system.
Assorted things that go boom, bang, and pew.
MLM
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 10/21/16 06:13 pm »

GM still has an active patent on the midgate. The one that expired was only for the supporting ring structure.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6416104B1/en

Current rides:
2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum, Majestic Plum Metallic.
2012 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, manual, 3.55 axle
2000 Bonneville SSEi, Midnight Blue

Former Chevy rigs:
2013 Black Diamond Avalanche LTZ, Blue Topaz
2008 Avalanche 3LT Z71, Black
2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH, Silver Birch (March '04 - April '10, 68,000 miles)
1999 Tahoe LT 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Blue over Silver (June '98 - May '04)
1992 K-Blazer Silverado 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Teal over Pewter (July '92 - June '98)
Flint4x4
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 10/22/16 11:10 am »

GM still has an active patent on the midgate. The one that expired was only for the supporting ring structure.

That makes sense, no reason to maintain the patent on the supporting ring structure if it's worthless without the midgate. What else is it good for that won't infringe on their midgate and possibly other cabin pass thru patents?

It makes me wonder how many other patents the automakers are sitting on for various reasons. The top two reasons are the idea isn't cost effective and not enough customer demand. Then add we don't want our competition to use it and prove we were idiots for not building it.

'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016
MLM
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 10/22/16 02:05 pm »

That makes sense, no reason to maintain the patent on the supporting ring structure if it's worthless without the midgate. What else is it good for that won't infringe on their midgate and possibly other cabin pass thru patents?

It makes me wonder how many other patents the automakers are sitting on for various reasons. The top two reasons are the idea isn't cost effective and not enough customer demand. Then add we don't want our competition to use it and prove we were idiots for not building it.

Agreed.

The midgate patent will expire in a few years but sadly the Avalanche is not coming back. Hard to believe it's been 15 years since the first Avalanche was built. I still have no idea what I will replace mine with when the time comes. Sad Most likely it will be something body-on-frame.

Current rides:
2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum, Majestic Plum Metallic.
2012 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, manual, 3.55 axle
2000 Bonneville SSEi, Midnight Blue

Former Chevy rigs:
2013 Black Diamond Avalanche LTZ, Blue Topaz
2008 Avalanche 3LT Z71, Black
2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH, Silver Birch (March '04 - April '10, 68,000 miles)
1999 Tahoe LT 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Blue over Silver (June '98 - May '04)
1992 K-Blazer Silverado 2-Door 4x4 Z71, Teal over Pewter (July '92 - June '98)
frito

"I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 10/22/16 03:18 pm »

I saw that. If so, I'm hoping Tesla includes a midgate in their pickup truck.  For a company with a small vehicle selection, that sort of versatility would be a big plus.  "Avalanche" with a Tesla drive system?  Yes please!
That would be sweet.  By the time they would get to it, the actual mid-gate patent might just expire.

Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...
Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 10/23/16 07:39 am »

The midgate patent will expire in a few years,...

Quadrasteer for the full size trucks/SUVs came out the same time as the Avalanche.

That's another patent they are sitting on. The Quadrasteer patent took a few twists and turns but I think GM still owns it. The new GM reacquired some steering gear operations from their failed Delphi spin-off. The system was developed before the Delphi spin-off so GM had sole proprietary license to use it.

I want a new truck with a midgate and quadrasteer. Might as well ask for the moon  chevy 

wyotonka

WyoTonka

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 10/23/16 08:30 am »

I would love to see Tesla put it to use, I have seen several of the new model x rolling around here, and boy are they sharp  Cool!

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build
frito

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 10/23/16 09:11 am »

What would also be cool is to integrate solar panels into the bed panels for additional charging/range.  Oh the possibilities, that will probably never happen.

Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...
Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 10/23/16 09:29 am »

PromptCritical & wyotonka - I was piggy backing on your ideas and screwed up the copy/paste.
Not that I haven't had similar thoughts, no surprise we are thinking in the same direction.

Tesla Motors builds cars in Fremont, CA at a plant that was formerly a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota. They inspired GM to build the Volt & Bolt, in other words quit sitting on their hands and put it in production. (they already had the designs) Never say never, the incestuous relationships between automakers goes back over 100 years. It's hard to keep track of who owns who with publicly traded companies.

A Tesla Avalanche with midgate and quadrasteer would rock  Cool!

frito- integrated solar panels into the bed panels for additional charging/range  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 10/23/16 09:51 am by Flint4x4 » Logged

Cat Dancer
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 10/23/16 09:56 am »

Tesla Motors builds cars in Fremont, CA at a plant that was formerly a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota. They inspired GM to build the Volt & Bolt, in other words quit sitting on their hands and put it in production. (they already had the designs) Never say never, the incestuous relationships between automakers goes back over 100 years. It's hard to keep track of who owns who with publicly traded companies.

A Tesla Avalanche with midgate and quadrasteer would rock  Cool!

frito- integrated solar panels into the bed panels for additional charging/range  Thumbs up!

I seldom look at the Dark Side first, but, look at the current replacement costs for our panels now.

Imagine these in use and surviving a Hail Storm, Tree Damage, or Flying Rocks from trucks and such on the road?

The Black Market demand for these things would out strip what we see with the 3rd row seats in Tahoe & Suburban variants.

I like the concept, though it requires much more thought for implementation. At least they could be changed out rather easily.

Just Saying  Huh

2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!
Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 10/23/16 10:51 am »

I seldom look at the Dark Side first, but, look at the current replacement costs for our panels now.

OUCH! integrated solar panels into the bed panels for additional charging/range = bad idea

The cost, could you walk on them? I fell asleep on mine waiting for traffic to clear after a NASCAR race and got severely sunburnt, I may have been cooked alive if they were solar panels.  Cheesy 

We've never had a problem with bed panel theft, I imagine we would if they were solar panels too.  :Smiley

Cat Dancer
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 10/23/16 12:03 pm »

Not so much of a bad idea as much as more thought to prevail. I'm sure there could be a layer of plexiglass or some sort to protection, but as I've observed panels in the wild, this may evolve someday into vehicles too.

My area is constantly being hit with 3rd row seat thefts. Tires & Wheels, not so much in the news though.

2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!
frito

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 10/23/16 12:46 pm »

Judging by how few.people even know a quarter of the functionalities of an Avy, I'm not too concerned about theft.  Keep the tailgate locked and it's a non-issue, or at least a much more limited issue.

Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 10/23/16 12:58 pm »

My area is constantly being hit with 3rd row seat thefts. Tires & Wheels, not so much in the news though.

My area had a rash of thefts on specific items, they took metal tailgates, wheels and catalytic converters. It wasn't limited to vehicles, anything for scrap metal. They cracked down on the rules for accepting such items which seems to have worked.

I guess our thieves aren't sophisticated enough to steal and sell on the black market.  Big laughter with tears

David_B

2013 LT

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 10/29/16 10:33 am »

GM ruined the Avalanche by making it look exactly like the Suburban.

It was a cool looking tough truck when it first came out, they turned it into just another half badge job.

I love the midgate in my 2013, I hate that it looks like a suburban.

I loved the midgate in my 2012, I loved that it didn't look anything like the Suburban.
wyotonka

WyoTonka

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 10/29/16 08:02 pm »

2012 is the same body style as 2013

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build
frito

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 10/30/16 05:47 am »

I think he meant 02 not 12.

AirJunky

Live hard, die young, leave a good lookin corpse!

WWW Awards
« Reply #45 on: 10/30/16 10:43 pm »

Hmmmm, weird. No room for storing the window. Or for a sub woofer.

-
Bill
2005 Avalanche, 4x4, Z-71 1500, 5.3 liter, 4.10 rear, upgraded 4L60E.
Mods: Heated cloth seats, Pioneer stereo, 2 Kicker subwoofers, MB Quart speakers, tinted front windows, removed Z71 decals, Flowmaster 50, All4On, Amber DRLs, CAI, Maglite, wrapped steering wheel, Indoor/outdoor carpeted the bed & midgate.
My Av Gallery
2007AVLT3

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 08/19/17 07:05 pm »

I was at the Woodward Dream Cruise today and I sat in a High Country wth the Desert Edition.. very nice.  hmmm maybe will get one..

2007 - Avalanche (LT3 + sunroof +roof rack and rain sense wipers)
Garmin Nuvi 700
Whelen Flatliner Dual Blue Strobes
Chevy Bug Shield, Mud Flaps, Vent Visors
Westin Bull Bar
Whelen Responder LP (Blue LED) ** Latest Addition **
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: