• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front bumper oxidation

old skool

My front bumper has some white oxidation on it. Not sure if you can see it in the photo. What can I use to bring the color back?

5C3B077B-E132-468A-A7F4-09F242DEDDC4_zpsk5safzg2.jpg

Uh oh! That looks like early stages of clear coat failure. You could try using a polish from just about any brand. It'll help shine it up, but won't last long. Only a repaint will truly fix it. I'm afraid it's going to get worse so try to keep it waxed as much as possible. It won't stop it, but it'll at least give you a fighting chance to slow it down. I'm surprised the clear coat is failing  ???

yep, sure looks like a clear coat de-lam in the making. There's not a whole lot you can do to truly "fix" it other than some paint work, but a light wet sanding with some 1500 grit or greater to smooth out the edges and a decent black wax will aid in prolonging the inevitable. Before my first re-spray ( I just completed the second) my av was originally black from the factory. The best reasonably priced wax I found that had decent results and didn't require an abundance of labor was meguiar's black paste. search item# G6207. I think they recently changed the packaging but it used to be available in both a paste and liquid.

Calicak89 said:
yep, sure looks like a clear coat de-lam in the making. There's not a whole lot you can do to truly "fix" it other than some paint work, but a light wet sanding with some 1500 grit or greater to smooth out the edges and a decent black wax will aid in prolonging the inevitable. Before my first re-spray ( I just completed the second) my av was originally black from the factory. The best reasonably priced wax I found that had decent results and didn't require an abundance of labor was meguiar's black paste. search item# G6207. I think they recently changed the packaging but it used to be available in both a paste and liquid.

Seeing that the bumper is plastic, would it be safe to use this product on plastic?

I used it on all parts of my 05 Silverado, the wheels on my 05 Av, my wife's old 4runner and all parts of my 08 Av before spraying it matte the first time without any issues. I found it somewhere in the summer of 06 after searching for something easier or better after I waxed my silverado and had to go back over it scrubbing remnants of light pink wax out of every crack and crevice with a soft toothbrush. It's just a wax that is "specially formulated" and tinted to be used specifically on black vehicles. It's not a miracle wax, just the best (and easiest) thing I've found to wax a black vehicle with. It doesn't leave any white residue behind if you get a little bit trapped at the edge of moldings or trim pieces or in cracks or rock chips etc.

Just a tid bit of info, Black Wax is heavier on the polishing oils vs White Wax which is heavier on the paint cleaners. Thus the reason it's suited for darker paints. There's no actual color tint within the wax itself so it's safe on any color paint. I too would definitely recommend using Meguiar's Black Wax as that will give your paint nourishing oils as well as great protection.  (y)

Thanks guys...I just ordered a tube from Amazon. I'll use it on the whole truck. Reviews say it will give it that glassy wet look.

Back