• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake controller

blazzinbird

How can I test my blue signal wire without my trailer. My boat trailer sitting 45 miles away at the lake but I need to make sure I have trailer brakes am I able to use a test light and have one sitting on ground any other on the blue wire that work?

I forget if signal is variable VOLTS or AMPS....

but a Multi meter would help here.

Sorry I forgot to mention that the brake controller light comes on when I tap the brakes. If it's amps that could explain why a test light doesn't come on.

You are looking for DC Volts.  If your boat is heavy enough to require a brake controller, and you aren't familiar with multi-meter testing, I would really recommend getting a 7-pin brake tester.  At 45 miles and a couple hours of your life, I'd say the $10 is worthwhile.  If you live near a UHaul or small mechanic shop they may have a tester you can borrow for 5 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58270-12V-Connector-Tester/dp/B001EOWQY4/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TDXHPBV5D1NR4HK2CQ1S

Back