• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Problems with 2002 2500 Dome & Courtesy Lamps

jj731

I just recently bought a 2002 2500 with 115k miles and it's got some quirks, one of which is the dome lights and courtesy lights.

*not dome override, have checked that out repeatedly in a desperate hope that maybe it somehow is.
*interior dome/map lights work when you press the buttons to turn them on
*don't work when door opens, but radio turns off and warning noise comes on if lights are left on or a key is in the ignition when the door opens so that sensor works.
*dimmer wheel when rolled up will click but not turn on the dome light. If I have the headlights on at night and turn it all the way up past the click my dash lights shut off.

I've checked all the fuses by hand but not yet with a test light. Tried putting in a working bulb, didn't help. Replaced a missing bulb in a courtesy light on the door also did not help. One night when messing with the dimmer switch and lights and dome override, after I rolled the dimmer wheel up all the way and it clicked not only did it shut off my dash lights but also my headlights.

So my question is, does it sound like a headlight switch? I've read every thread I could possibly find and none of them sound exactly like mine, most notably that the buttons work to make the lights come on but when using the dimmer wheel, dome still stays off and it shuts off the dash. I'm worried it could possibly be the body control module, as my truck has keyless entry but when I ordered a remote and tried to program it, it was a long, arduous, unsuccessful battle and I had read some threads detailing issues with domes, keyless entry, etc.

jj731 said:
*dimmer wheel when rolled up will click but not turn on the dome light. If I have the headlights on at night and turn it all the way up past the click my dash lights shut off.

Sounds very much like a bad ground connection. My bet is that it's shared between the headlights, and your improperly working dash lights.
Unfortunately, I do not know where that ground connection is.
Google is your friend - sometimes!  ;D

CarMech1969

Have been thinking it could be a bad ground, I'll mess around with it tonight and see what I find!

I suspect it is the disable button... Try pushing it in and out a few times. It will also disable your headlights. The headlight switch on a 2002 does not work the same as on older trucks. We had them here at work and was always a pain to figure out if the curtsey lights were disabled or not.

Find a user manual and read what it says about the light switch.
Can be very confusing.

Have read the manual front to back multiple times and am referencing it regularly. Not the dome override. Checked wires in dome all three are getting power. Pulled headlight switch, everything getting power except

*Instrument Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch Signal (dark green wire)
*Headlamp Coil Supply Voltage (white wire)

Tested connections with dome override pressed in then out at the dome, both wires are getting signals either way.

I wouldn't post if I hadn't already spent hours upon hours googling and trying to troubleshoot it myself first. The ground has looked good each place I've checked so far.

I don't know if it has an aftermarket alarm but I did see some wiring that looked not factory in the box by the brake pedal.

jj731 said:
I just recently bought a 2002 2500 with 115k miles and it's got some quirks, one of which is the dome lights and courtesy lights.

*not dome override, have checked that out repeatedly in a desperate hope that maybe it somehow is.
*interior dome/map lights work when you press the buttons to turn them on
*don't work when door opens, but radio turns off and warning noise comes on if lights are left on or a key is in the ignition when the door opens so that sensor works.

I've checked all the fuses by hand but not yet with a test light. Tried putting in a working bulb, didn't help. Replaced a missing bulb in a courtesy light on the door also did not help. One night when messing with the dimmer switch and lights and dome override, after I rolled the dimmer wheel up all the way and it clicked not only did it shut off my dash lights but also my headlights.

So my question is, does it sound like a headlight switch? I've read every thread I could possibly find and none of them sound exactly like mine, most notably that the buttons work to make the lights come on but when using the dimmer wheel, dome still stays off and it shuts off the dash. I'm worried it could possibly be the body control module, as my truck has keyless entry but when I ordered a remote and tried to program it, it was a long, arduous, unsuccessful battle and I had read some threads detailing issues with domes, keyless entry, etc.

I had the same problem when i bought my 1500 2003.It was the fuses for the relay for the dome light that had blown.

Pulled the relay it had some corrosion, switched it out with a different one and now when I push the dimmer all the way up until it clicks the dome light stays off but my dash says cargo lamps on.

If you can get to the ground connection called 'G203' (it's at the bottom of the 'A' pillar on the driver's side I believe), it would be worth a try to clean and tighten the connections here, as it involves all the circuitry you have mentioned that's causing you problems.
Good luck with it!!

CarMech1969

CarMech1969 said:
jj731:

Sent you a PM.

CarMech1969
He will not get PM yet.
Too New A member.

So just post up here for everyone else to learn from.

ygmn said:
He will not get PM yet.
Too New A member.

So just post up here for everyone else to learn from.

Ah, I see - did not realize that.

Well, basically what happened is that my interior lights won't turn on with the rotary switch turned up to the click at the top.
It was working a week ago.
All the other lighting works as it should - headlamps, parking, turn signals, interior lights, map lights and what have you.
The first thing was my Passlock crapping out after a rainstorm.

Who knows what's next??    Still no further ahead. :deadhorse:

CarMech1969

I got your PM but can't reply to it like ygmn said. I don't know if it's had any moisture get into it, I've only had it for about 3 weeks but from what I can tell I haven't seen any signs of water damage. Going to investigate the g203 ground today if I get some time in between other projects. Almost thought I had it figured out when I realized the last owner put in the wrong fuse for the headlamps, it didn't have the 87a part, but bought the right one and still no dice. Everything has power to it just fine, it's mind boggling. Checked every single fuse. Hope the ground holds my answers because I don't want to think about a sad bcm and having to pay a dealership to reprogram a new one.

jj731:

If you need to study wire diagrams, here's a good source.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

Good luck with it. I hope you figure out what's going on.

I know first hand how frustrating electrical problems can be!!

CarMech1969

Do your cargo lights work. ???

My cargo lights do work. The headlamp relay was the wrong one, it didn't have an 87a terminal so I thought maybe, just maybe that's my problem. Replaced it, no dice  :E: Looked under the hood on the driver firewall at some of the grounds and saw one of the braids had ripped, the one going from the courtesy light on the hood, to the hood, then to the firewall. Fixed it and reattached, didn't help it. Somewhere along all of the toying I've been doing with it though I got a new problem - now NO map or dome lights. Before if I pushed the buttons I had them. Tried to take off the top dash today but I couldn't really find great instructions for getting that a pillar cover off. Can I just light it all on fire now?

I did pull out the radio and saw a lot of someone's aftermarket wiring, but I have no earthly idea what they wired into it or if that could possibly be affecting my dome issue at all.

OK now don't get mad at me but since you are new to the Avalanche world. You said you check the fuses but do you know you have 3 fuse boxes.

MS03 2500 said:
OK now don't get mad at me but since you are new to the Avalanche world. You said you check the fuses but do you know you have 3 fuse boxes.

3 fuse boxes?

I know there's one under the hood, and one on the left end of the dash board.

Where's the 3rd one?  ???

Are you talking about the relay block down by the parking brake pedal?

CarMech1969

For what it is worth, you are having a lot of issues that may appear to be connected or not.

I'm sure many of us on the Site recognize and understand your frustration and many have attempted to provide you with a directions and options to resolve your issues.

What I am beginning to see is you may be chasing the previous owners mistakes or screw ups. The 2002 models had some peculiar aspects that were not found the 2003 and up. This was consistent with all of the GM Truck models.

I too owned a 75 Chevrolet Truck and can only agree with you about the relative ease for working on it and not pulling a lot of hair out in the process. 

It doesn't matter which brand, make, or model vehicle that is sold today. Once anyone attempts to make modifications without understanding the Downstream Complications will end up in the same boat you are in.

At this point, you are in an investigation mode and ultimately, if you stick with it, you'll learn a whole lot more about this vehicle than you ever expected or wanted to know.

I hope you stay with it.

Welcome to the Future, 1975 to 2002. It was a big leap.

Back in the day allot of 02 wanted home link and swapped overhead console  for one that had it. Even though people advertised that the console fits a 02 to 06 that is true they do fit but the wiring is not the same.

So I will suggest to get a 1999 to 2002 console.

Back