• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Longer Studs

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I am wondering if there are any companies that make longer studs for the wheels. My front wheels are only hanging on to 3 threads on the studs due to the spacers because the tires are close to the upper control arm. I have thought about getting the bolt on spacers, but the smallest they make is 3/4 thick and that will push my wheels out too far.

Any help is appreciated.

Take a look at rock auto and pick ones for a 2500

the 2500's have longer studs?

They sell them in various lengths up to 105 mm, I think a stock is 65mm

Thanks Byron, I'll give it a look

ARP makes lug studs. You can buy them in various lengths. Have you thought about using extended length lug nuts? They make them and will accomplish the same thing as changing the studs out.

You're welcome some 2500 owner use spacers to correct the front to rear  track difference

MyBigToy said:
ARP makes lug studs. You can buy them in various lengths. Have you thought about using extended length lug nuts? They make them and will accomplish the same thing as changing the studs out.

I don't see how longer lug nuts will work, there isn't enough of the stud available for the current lugs to bite onto, my 10MM spacers are covering up too much of the stud, that is why I need longer studs.

I found 80MM studs on RockAuto, but they say they are for rear only, I'm going to call and find out if they can be used in front.

Well I think Rock Auto is a bust, Dorman only makes a 69.78mm stud for the front wheels, however the rear wheels can have 75, 80, or even 105mm. I don't understand that, the studs look the same, why aren't they interchangeable, i should be able to use the longer rear studs on the front.

I don't think there is any difference on a stock 65mm stud they fit front or rear.

Try getting one and try it out, maybe the there is something I'm missing.

hey James one thing you may want to do is go to the local parts store and ask to see a 2500 and a 1500 lug bolt.

james21 said:
Well I think Rock Auto is a bust, Dorman only makes a 69.78mm stud for the front wheels, however the rear wheels can have 75, 80, or even 105mm. I don't understand that, the studs look the same, why aren't they interchangeable, i should be able to use the longer rear studs on the front.

I thinks it is the thickness of the hub. If you look at the knurled end the rear it is longer. Sorry have also struck out so far. Have you tried off road forums or sites yet?  

I've been talking with ARP, the company that makes head studs, they said they can make anything, but need the null diameter and the thread length, if those make any sense. I would need longer ones in the front regardless because I need to get a larger spacer, and then get longer ones for the rear, so that the rear tires line up with the fronts. My only other alternative is bolt on spacers, the problem those, the smallest they make is 3/4 inch, but in order for those to work I need to cut my stock studs down to 20mm. Or I can get 1.5 inch spacers but that pushes the wheels out way to far, I've heard that it also puts a lot of un wanted stress on the drive line and axles.

So I called my local dealer today, they told me the stock studs are: 14?1.5?29,65

Can anyone confirm this?

They are definitely M14x 1.5 thread.
Not sure where the 29 is coming from.
The 65 should be the length from the shoulder to tip in mm. I thought they were 64, but 65 is probably right if that's what the dealer quoted.
The knurl should be 15.85mm (.623"), but any knurl between .620 and .635-.640 (16.25mm) should press in.

Thanks Tom.

I called ARP, and they don't have anything bigger than M12. Their custom shop said that in order to make 24 studs at a new length it will cost over $1000. So back to the drawing board I guess.

$1000 is bananas, even for custom studs. That's surprising the M12 is the biggest they have. Did you get my PM regarding the Dorman 610-347 studs, that I used on my Silverado? If i remember correctly, they were somewhere around $35 (for all 24). That was like 7 years ago though. Even so, at $100 you're still $900 to the good.
My buddy is a CNC programmer for American Bridge, I know they make custom bolts/rivets in MONSTER sizes. If you can't find something off the shelf that works, give me a call with exactly what you need and I can see if he can get them made in his shop I dunno if they can machine something that small, but I'd make the call for you if you really get stuck.

After looking into this a bit more here's what I got

Source is GM Parts Direct
Front stud is 11588810 which is 7mm longer than the rear

Rear stud is 11588811

100_3655.jpg

Source

Next longer Dorman Studs

Source

14mm-wheel-stud-comparison_zps6d906c7d.jpg

I really am on the clock here, I am trying to get this issue resolved before STI. I have 3.5 weeks to come up with a solution, if it comes down to the week before, I figure I got two options at that point. Option A: buy a second set of rims and tires, 17's with the right backspacing and tires that wont interfere with the control arms, and then I can have piece of mind to go down to GA and back, and go to Volant in Nov. Option B: trailer my AV down to GA, this second option I'm not fond of, mainly because Tybee Island is small. I have looked on Google Earth, and it will be possible to navigate, however, there is no guarantee that Hotel Tybee will allow me to park my trailer in their lot (even though it is rather large (on Goggle Earth)). So here is my dilemma.

The 1500 and 2500 use the same lug as do 90% on GM cars.

Now I have not tried those dormans but they m14x1.5 X length

I would look at the ones from rock auto

Rock Auto said they don't have the ones for the Avalanche

Take the number and try summit racing, but I don't think they keep them in stock either.

Byron the Dorman studs you took the pic of, are they the M14x1.5, the same as the stock GM studs just on different lengths?

Back