• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Temporary winch in bed

PEKSAV

Hello,
I plan on doing some landscaping that includes some boulders in my front yard.  I can get free boulders but I have to pick them up myself.  I purchased a winch and would like to set up a temporary mount for it in the bed of my 2002 AV. I have a ramp to slide/roll them up.  I read threads about front and rear hitch mounts but nothing for the bed.  Getting them back down is another story.  Anyone have any suggestions?  ???
thanks

That could be tricky as you would want structure to mount to which means frame.

Might I suggest a trailer?

Something like this hitch mounted jib crane could work......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013RXUCKE?psc=1

I was think I'd use both a hoist (crane) and a trailer since I already have the trailer. With a low trailer you don't have to lift the rocks more than a couple feet or put them in your truck, with a hitch crane and a sling you can set the boulders anywhere you can back up to.

I'd consider hiring a couple local young guys to do it for me but you hire the wrong one he can claim he threw out his back and sue you or your homeowingner's insurance for workman's compensation. On the lighter side,... How to get boulders out of the bed of your truck: Reverse full throttle and slam on the brakes! Caution, open or remove tailgate first. 

Thanks, would love to get a trailer but no p,ace to store it.
Nice hoist, that is a possibility. 
I thought about just using the 4 tieddowns the front of bed.  Somehow hooking up chain across top and bottom and using both for support.  Not sure how much they can take.  Maybe unbolt tied owns and bolt on something to attach chains, then hook up winch.  Sound stupid??
I really didn't see any place to bolt winch to floor without cutting holes.
Thanks

Trailer = uhaul. How much do the boulders weigh.

MS03 2500 said:
Trailer = uhaul. How much do the boulders weigh.
OR Friendly Neighbor Like I have.

For moving heavy loads in the bed you may want to get a heavy duty CargoGlide that can move 1,800 lbs. of cargo in an AV........

http://www.cargoglide.com/products-2/cargoglide-cg1800hd/

It's more expensive than homemade but probably safer and of course could be used for many things. In combination with above hitch mounted jib crane you should be able to load and move just about anything. Not sure I would trust the tie-down mounts for  super heavy duty items to move.
Using both you may prevent damage to the AV or injury or death to you or one of your helpers. So in the long run it could be cheaper to use the right tools for the job????

PEKSAV said:
cargoglide is a good idea but still need to get cargo up on it.
Thanks
That's why i also said it could be used in combination with the jib crane I linked to in my earlier post...... >:D

Back