• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Can I bleed brakes without jacking up truck or putting it on stands?

ngrome

First time I'm doing this on an Avalanche which I'm about to own, when replacing the front passenger caliper which is seized.  If I can crawl under car just as it is parked, can I reach the bleeder screws without having to jackup and/or remove the wheels? 

Sure. That all depends on your size, if you?re a contortionists and love to bleed.  :E:

Why would ya if you have to remvoe the wheel to replace the caliper anyways?

The only reason I posed the question is because in some vehicles I worked on I was able to reach the bleeder screw without necessary removing the tires or putting it on jacks, just crawl underneath, but sounds like I'll have to just do it on this one.

The wheel is very close to the caliper it's best to put a hose on the bleeder cause brake fluid is very corrosive.

First off, Welcome the Word of Avalanche. It can be an Adventure!

YGMN's post was most likely a typo for which he is notorious for doing so and kindly accepted.

Sorry, I can't provide any help to your specific question, but, if you think this is a silly issue, wait until you get ready for putting lube grease in that beast.

On the 5.2L models, they are difficult to find and a few are nearly impossible to reach. I hope your 2500 will be easier, but try to search the very early threads own that topic dating from 2002 through 2005 for more guidance.

we all get ripped  >:D at some point looks like you took it in stride. This the best sit for getting the help you need and sorry I missed the  :wave:  :welcome:

My question is /...

You stated you are replacing the caliper.

To do this yo uhave to have the Wheel off.

So after you replace caliper bleed the caliper.
then put wheel back on.

East peasy...

Cat Dancer said:
First off, Welcome the Word of Avalanche. It can be an Adventure!

YGMN's post was most likely a typo for which he is notorious for doing so and kindly accepted.

Sorry, I can't provide any help to your specific question, but, if you think this is a silly issue, wait until you get ready for putting lube grease in that beast.

On the 5.2L models, they are difficult to find and a few are nearly impossible to reach. I hope your 2500 will be easier, but try to search the very early threads own that topic dating from 2002 through 2005 for more guidance.

JVZL1 said:
we all get ripped  >:D at some point looks like you took it in stride. This the best sit for getting the help you need and sorry I missed the  :wave:  :welcome:

Thank you guys for the WELCOMES! The Av is not mine yet, I'm working on it to see if I'll buy it off my bro-inlaw for a dirt cheap price, and now I'm finding out why he's basically giving it to me, as there's multitude of common problems that I'm finding on the truck that's discussed here and other Chevy truck forums. Some are annoying but some are easy enough. I did need a shop's help to untorque a seized caliper whose bolts was fuse rusted on the frame, thank goodness for impact wrenches. The truck looks awesome cosmetically, just multitude of these problems. I've only had the truck for three weeks but it feels like I've had it forever with all the work and money I put into it, and I haven't paid him for it yet, so jury is still out, as I do want to keep it, it still grabs attention from people when you pull up with it or even start it up. It's a nice play toy if anything, so I'll be here a while if I decide to keep it. :D

As everyone has come to learn, I will never be mistaken for the Welcome Wagon.

Nice to see/read that you are back.

After the initial post, well-meaning experts attempted to help.

As far as I can see, there were no reply's to their answers......

Some of us intend to remain in the background, without comment.

We log-in to learn, rather than teach.

Posting a question, then responding a month later - without explanation, will be difficult to be taken seriously, on most forums.

Just say'in.

Nick@Night said:
As everyone has come to learn, I will never be mistaken for the Welcome Wagon.

Nice to see/read that you are back.

After the initial post, well-meaning experts attempted to help.

As far as I can see, there were no reply's to their answers......

Some of us intend to remain in the background, without comment.

We log-in to learn, rather than teach.

Posting a question, then responding a month later - without explanation, will be difficult to be taken seriously, on most forums.

Just say'in.

Thanks! Well, I'm in the learning mode right now, so the original question I posted regarding whether I bleed the brakes with the wheels on or not (which was either my first or second post) may have been considered silly, which I understand. As this would be my first Chevy truck if I took it off my bro-inlaw's hands, but jury is still out on that.  But I resolved quite a few of the annoying common problems with these trucks (I put in a separate post).  The only other American cars I've owned were a Pontiac, Ford and Saturn, otherwise, I've mainly owned Japanese imports longer.  Sorry, I will say I'll still give the imports the edge on reliability and not having as many issues lingering issues over the years based on my ownership of both American and foreign cars (though some are manufactured in America these days and the Saturn is as close to being like a reliable import in my experience of owning one).  Again, not hatin' the Chevy, I like the Avalanche it's a sweet looking truck, still gets stares on the road in in the parking lots, so I hope I can make it work, as I haven't even paid my bro-inlaw for it but if I give it back to him, but he can sell it for a lot more now because it's at least road-worthy and in better condition than when he first gave it to me.  I'll just want my money back that I put into it ;)

But if I do keep it, as I've been member of other car forums, I learn and post questions (as silly some may sound), but I also contribute and if I learn something new that may benefit others, especially other Chevy truck newbies like myself, I will post it.  I believe in paying knowledge forward, not just for my own selfish gain.  (y)

I think it is called an Engaging Experience when one takes a deeper interest in Maintaining and Knowing the devices one actually owns, uses, and Depend on for reliable service and Trust for future usage.

I agree completely with the point for most of us to be here is to learn and share what we've discovered and/or Experienced.

All vehicles and devices may end up doing the same thing in the end, but manage to do it with different designs and philosophies. Just look at the difference in DashBoard layouts or lighting designs on vehicles now.

We are all on your side here.  :love:

Yaaa you can but frig it's hard to see and wear goggles
Being skinny helps
If you fat lol drive onto wood block

Back