• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need help trans pan not going back on!!!

btarocks

I attempted a transmission fluid and filter change on my 07 LTZ. This has become a royal pain. I finally was able to get the pan out and replace the filter. The parts store sold me the ACDelco TF289. I put the new filter in there, wrestled the pan back in place. But now the pan won't seat on to the tranny. It almost feels like the filter is causing it not fit back in place.

Does anyone have a remedy for this??? In dire need of help here.  :help: :help: :help:

COuld be the filter is wrong and hitting pan.

Did you change the filter gasket also.

Not exactly. After reading some reviews on filter, I figured I'd try the drive works kit. Attempted to tackle the filter seal before trying to fit the filter. Took a small screwdriver to try and pop one side out. All that happened was the rubber tearing and exposing gouged metal. I'm about to fly the white flag. Did I gouge the seal casing or the bore? Am I looking at buying a new tranny soon?

To the best of my knowledge, if you take a pan off and it won't go back on, welllll theres something in the way, maybe just maybe the parts store sold you the wrong filter, did you compare the old one to the new one before you put it in?  Sounds like it may be a little deep causing your frustration.  Just a thought..........

Didit

Now I'm more worried about the filter bore than anything else. Fairly certain the seal casing is still up there. Anyone have a way to get this thing out? Any pictures of the bore with it out would be a huge help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLliB-Fx1vA

you tube can be your bets friend. When I can't find what I want I will put suburban in instead of avalanche. this what i typed in remove filter from a trans on a 1500 suburban

hope this helps

btarocks said:
Attempted to tackle the filter seal before trying to fit the filter. Took a small screwdriver to try and pop one side out. All that happened was the rubber tearing and exposing gouged metal. I'm about to fly the white flag. Did I gouge the seal casing or the bore? Am I looking at buying a new tranny soon?

Now I'm more worried about the filter bore than anything else. Fairly certain the seal casing is still up there. Anyone have a way to get this thing out? Any pictures of the bore with it out would be a huge help.

The filter seal is not the easiest thing to remove. Most of the time they can be left alone if not damaged, although I have always changed them as a new one comes in the kit.

The trick is to catch the edge of it with a pick tool or screwdriver or a pointed chisel, anything like that - then, you take a hammer and pound the edge of the seal toward the center of the bore, so that the seal caves in on itself. It would be easier to illustrate this with a picture, but where would I find it?

Anyhow, once it's caved in, the diameter of the seal is now reduced, and it will practically fall out of the transmission bore. You would then simply pluck it out of there with needle nosed pliers. The caved in area gives you the room needed to grab onto it with the pliers.
Hope this makes sense to you.

Just please don't go damaging the bore in any way - that would really suck large. Maybe I can find a picture somewhere.

As far as I know, sometimes there is a filter made for a deeper trans pan, and it looks like you need the regular filter and got the wrong one. Recheck the part# to be sure.

And, above all - Good luck!!  :B:

CarMech1969

Thank you for all the info. I'm going to post a picture tomorrow of what I have going on. He rubber split off and I fear I caught the bore trying to get the rest out.

Hypothetically if I did...could it be fixed?

btarocks said:
Thank you for all the info. I'm going to post a picture tomorrow of what I have going on. He rubber split off and I fear I caught the bore trying to get the rest out.

Hypothetically if I did...could it be fixed?

I suppose it could be, if you smeared a little JB Weld or silicone gasket into the gouges, and then tapped the new seal in place. It is a metal sleeve that fits tight in the bore, so I imagine that it would be fine.
The thing is though - the surfaces would have to be completely oil-free for any sort of sealer to stick. And when you have trany fluid perpetually dripping out of there, it would not easily be accomplished.
I really hope that you didn't scratch the bore. That wouldn't be an ideal situation!!  :8:

Just be really careful, but don't be scared of it either. Easier said than done though!!

CarMech1969

Hope you get that seal.
As stated above there is a deep and shallow pan filter. I believe some kits give the pan depth.If you have a shallow pan with the deep filter kit it won't fit.
By the way you have to rely push the filter to seat it.put fluid on the tube before and twist and push.
Again look at the pic above to help you remove the seal

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I finally flew the white flag and had it towed to a transmission shop. The good news is they were able to polish the bore and put everything back in. $175 for that.
Here's the bad news...
I told them I did all this to alleviate a clunk when shifting to drive and had a bad shake at 70+ mph. They checked the drive shaft and it was fine. They got to the rear end and found a lot of silver in the fluid. They also said there was about an inch worth of play in the gears and it could be on the verge of failure. $2700 for brand new rear end!!! That include diff, axles, gears, and bearings. The new rear would come with a 3 year/100k mile warranty.

Is this a common problem with the 07 LTZ 4x4? Should I explore other options?

No not that common unless you were towing a large heavy trailer. Sound like the pinion bearing went bad.

If it is the pinion, you can get a replacement ring and pinion for around $150 U.S and swap it out before it detonates.
Search P# GM10-373A for the 3.73 gear. For other ratios just swap out the 373 for the ratio I.E. GM10-456A if you were looking for a 4.56

The shop is also offering a rebuild option for $1500. Replaces rack and pinion, bearings, and seals. However, this will not come with a warranty. Not real sure what I should do here.

That would be a ring and pinion.

Back