• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'02 no power to the START wire for radio power

Colebustinmasonacs

:help:  I have an '02 2500 and I have an aftermarket radio installed with separate Sirius radio.  Everything was fine until I tried to replace the Sirius radio.  In so doing, while trying to hook up the power to the new sirius (it is an add-on type that plays thru existing radio) I accidentally sparked one of the wires.  I obviously blew a fuse which I replaced but now the only power/hot that has current is the constant always on.  I have checked all the fuses under the hood and on the side of the instrument panel.  All are fine.  It is strange because there have been times when my radio powered up but now it hasn't powered up in a while.  I also had power to the illumination wire when vehicle started but I don't have that anymore either.  Fuses still fine.  I had a power wire spliced into a red wire when everything was working so I know I have the right wire, but it has no power at all now and hasn't since the original spark I mentioned.  What am I missing?  Is there some in-line fuse somewhere?  Also, this wire I traced is heading towards the amp but I don't know how to get to the amp to look around.  And yes, the amp fuse is fine. 
Please  :help:

Check the fuse on the radio..

You likely have a fuse on the constant power line of the radio if it is an aftermarket head unit. Some come with them and some not. I have bought them that had a built in tube fuse inside a holder before.

Otherwise check that the constant power to the radio works and the switched power lead still work to the head unit. If both of those still work and your radio is not coming on then you likely blew an internal fuse in the radio or burnt out something in the radio.

Thanks for the response.  There is a fuse on the back of the radio that blew (on the radio itself, not on a wire or in-line).  I replaced it.  The constant power gets to the radio and both sides of the fuse light up with the tester.  I am not sure what you mean by switched power lead.  The ONLY power getting to the radio is the constant, whether the truck is started or not.  I have no other wires with any current at the moment.

your constant power would be for your memory, the switched power would be hot only when the key is turned on.

Didit

Colebustinmasonacs said:
also, is there a reason I should NOT tap into my constant power to power the radio???

Well the only thing I can think of off hand would be you will have to remember to turn the radio off every time you exit the AV or come back to a dead battery!  Your call

Didit

Your radio has 2 power wires running to it.. Normally in radios I have done the Yellow wire is the Ignition/Switched lead and the red was the constant lead.

The 2002 trucks (Assuming the 2500 is same as 1500) has a switched lead called a RAP (Retained Accessory Power). In newer trucks this was removed and is done totally by computer control.

The RAP wire should be in your decks radio wiring harness. You likely have a fuse for it as well.

You don't want to connect constant wire to both leads on your radio or you will eventually have a dead battery when you forget to turn the radio off. (Will get very annoying fast)

Rodney

I appreciate the responses, thanks.  I think I am going to try and run a wire from my fuse box to my radio for switched power.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to do this?   :E:

You should have a switched lead at the radio harness. No need to run one from the fuse box. Just have to locate the correct wire.

Are you sure you have a 2002?

A 2002 has a computer read out to the left of the dash display.

In 2003 and newer the computer read out is in the bottom center of the dash display. Where is yours?

Rodney

Back