• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

08 rear suspension

Holbrook13

So this is my first Avalanche and I have to say, I love it more than I thought I would. One thing that is driving me nuts tho is the rear ended sits low. I have a 2008 ltz with auto ride. I bought it not knowing the rear compressor and shocks were bad. I never even knew about auto ride until the last month or 2 lol. But, stupid me, I put a 2" level on the front end and now it sits higher in the front than in the back. I did replace the shocks with arnotts but not the compressor. I can manually adjust the bags myself. They just don't seem to keep air that long ☹️

So I'm wondering if anyone has put blocks in the back end or not and if it makes the ride too terribly stiff.

I'm also new to the Avalanche so any tips and tricks are very much welcome

Maybe try spraying the air bags and related fittings with soapy water, and see if you can figure out where the leak is.

CarMech1969

If you have an LTZ model AV I'm surprised you aren't getting error messages in your DIC by not using exact replacement shocks and compressor.
As far as pressure in your new shock I would contact the manufacturer for their recommendations.

As mentioned in your other thread about rear shocks, they mentioned not only the part number of shocks to use if you want Arnott shocks but they used the compressor too and they don't have any problems with ride or computer codes in the DIC.
Most members with LTZ replace with original shocks and compressors when they go bad, it's expensive but causes less problems overall. Otherwise they try to replace with close to original as possible as a total kit.
You may be just delaying the inevitable and driving yourself nuts trying to Frankenstein different parts together to make a functioning suspension system.Maybe you could just add the Arnott compressor setup to the shocks you already have?
Good luck.

I contacted Arnott and they say they don't have a recommended psi for the shocks. Oh man you might be right about just getting the compressor but I'm not sure I can convince my wife lol.

I also want to put blocks in the rear to lift it an inch or two. Anybody have any recommendations on that?

Back