• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 Driver's side arm rest?

supermanotorious

The arm rest in my '03 is pretty chewed up. I've done some Google searches but haven't found any sites with actual pictures or install guides. My interior is tan/brown. Any suggestions on where I can get the arm rest and install info?

Try the seat shop for a cover, replacing it is a major PITA

I replaced both front seat arm rests with covers, along with the seat bottoms and seat back leathers with products from The Seat Shop.

The quality of their products is top notch.

The arm rests are a bear to get off, but The Seat Shop has plenty of YouTube installation videos that will walk you through the process.

I still can not get over how good their products are.

Glad I pulled the trigger.

(y)

The trickiest part is getting that little clip off of the mounting post and then putting it back on without it going flying!

Pay attention to the tip on what to do when you lose that clip.

:E:

We had to do that the first time on my brother's truck.

Stretching the seat leather out far enough to access that clip can be a little tough and a bit unnerving.

We did not replace my brothers seat leather, so we were really careful working with that.

I was tossing my old leather, so I had a much easier time.

What that video does not show, I guess because they changed things up after the video was made, is you will receive what looks like a smallish clear plastic trash can bag with each cover you buy.

This is placed over your old armrest leather before you slide on the new cover piece.

There will be no instructions provided for this, but elsewhere they might mention using duct tape to first cover the cracked areas of your old arm rest before sliding the new cover on.

Either way, you DO NOT remove the old cover.

Just leave it on as the new cover goes over the old cover.

Take your time when you cut your new cover.

Make small cuts until you have cut JUST ENOUGH of the new cover material.

With the new cover installed and the arm rest back on the seat (which can be a little bit of a challenge because of the now thicker material, but it will go on) the armrest will fold up and down kinda tight.

Don't worry about this.

Mine took a while but now it goes up and down with little effort.

Don't go adjusting or cutting or lubing anything.

It will ease up on it's own with use.

Good luck!

(y)

Everything looks easy on a vdeo, I also dropped both clips that foam was a bear to get out the way.

Back