• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

6.5" to 8" in the doors

Oxsign

So I decided that I was gonna try to put an 8" mid in the door of the 6.5" factory location. And that try to keep it as factory looking as possible (no cutting, covers, etc). While I was at it I wanted to add deadener throughout the door to help with road noise and well as SQ.

Here is the difference between the 2 and what I was working with (1.5" mounting difference).

The door with panel removed to see what i'm working with there (lots of holes everywhere!!!).

The Fatmat i'll be using for all this.

Lets cover them up by cutting out a thin 1/8" board and covering it with Fatmat. Then use some self tappers to install.

Cut out some rings using 3/4" ply (2 rings per side) and used strips of Fatmat to cover up as many other holes as I could.

Used a couple screws to secure the rings to the door and use Fatmat to seal the rings to the door. What's not seen is that I use thin 1/4" foam seal (for doorways) on the back and front of the mid to help seal and protect the mid from the door panel/wood rings.

Here the panel is back on and a perfect fit & seal.

This is the only thing that had to be cut off from the inside of the panel.

Here is where it was located (piece above) in RED and there were other clips above and below that held it perfect in GREEN. It actually clipped into the factory spacer for the door speaker and was hitting the 8".

Awesome!! Always liked a 8 over a 6.5 for midbass. to your knowledge will it work on a '03 ?

tralme98 said:
Awesome!! Always liked a 8 over a 6.5 for midbass. to your knowledge will it work on a '03 ?
thank you, it is a noticeable difference. I had an '05 Silverado and the panels were the same as the '03 Avy. An 8" would not fit unfortunately without major modifications.

Back