• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche Totaled ?

FLINTaVa

Silent Avalanche RIP
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Sat thru a green light then after the light turned yellow then red attempted to turn left into the parking lot at work like I've done thousands of times before. Young kid speeding slowed then sped up and must have hit me at 50+ mph in a 35 zone. No injuries, he's a bit sore from airbags going off and I just noticed I bruised my thigh.

I've felt worse pot hole bumps but he hit my right front wheel and it bent the frame.

Flint4x4 said:
Sat thru a green light then after the light turned yellow then red attempted to turn left into the parking lot at work like I've done thousands of times before. Young kid speeding slowed then sped up and must have hit me at 50+ mph in a 35 zone. No injuries, he's a bit sore from airbags going off and I just noticed I bruised my thigh.

I've felt worse pot hole bumps but he hit my right front wheel and it bent the frame.

Man that sucks.  Hopefully it's not totalled. I'm not a body shop, but I think it's around $1500 just to pull a frame.  Make sure the shop has a machine that can digitally measure the chassis before/after for best accuracy.  They might be more expensive, but it will help ensure it's correct.  I've seen problems before, which can cause wear and even erratic handling.  Some body shops will even farm out that part to a specialty shop, just for that reason.

Ah man, that stinks.  (n)  I hope they can fix it for you.  Most importantly, I'm glad you're OK.

Can't call insurance until 8AM, '04 loaded with just over 50k on it.

My body shop experience tells me it's worse than it looks, right front fender is the only sheet metal panel that needs replacing. The wheel took the brunt of the force so drove the axle sideways and bent the frame.

Start looking for a new one Buddy they don't fix cladded AVs cause they can't find body parts and the aftermarket parts don't fit worth a crap.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's toast.  :mad: 

Really sad to see her go, are you thinking about getting another one. ???

Buy it back and make a deal to have Alaska_AV work his magic.

That makes me sick just thinking about it.

Very glad you're alright, and hopefully the truck can be fixed.. You just don't find an 04 with 50k miles.. Especially one taken care of as good as you have  :(

If they do fix it, GM parts are the way to go as far as fenders, just ask OBB what he went through..  :rolleyes:

Main cosmetic damage is the right front fender but it twisted the entire front end because he impacted my right front wheel, everything under my hood is cocked left. I barely felt the impact.

Yeah that would make it a total then, you can't pull a hydro formed frame back.

4x4dreamer said:
That makes me sick just thinking about it.

Worse, he was a really nice kid, admitted he was speeding, ran the red light and was in the process of customizing his (now wrecked car) His mom got there before the police and he got a ticket for no insurance.

I have full coverage, it can't replace my truck. I still feel bad for the kid.

No insurance, your story keeps getting worse and worse. That kid and his mom  are in a world of trouble when your insurance company goes after them.

I've got bruises on both legs I didn't feel until later. Right calf banged the console.
Left thigh still has an imprint from the steering wheel stitching.

On the bright side: I have until tomorrow before the insurance appraiser gets here to clean out my truck and I get $20 a day towards a rent-a-car so Enterprise will be here shortly to pick me up. Also I still have nearly all of my 200 hours vacation and personal days left, I'll take the week off if they let me.

Almost forgot: I might post a photo but I don't have the heart  :love:  to take one yet.  :( 

It may be good if you go to the Doctors and get checked out.

You always feel worse the second day and we aren't the spring chickens like the old days.

GLad you are OK FLint....

Thanks, I'm just a bit sore. I'm glad the kid is alright, bet he's sorer than me.

I got a Hyundai Elantra I think, not even supposed to park one in the regular lot at work  :rolleyes:
That's what my insurance paid for and was available,...

Put a BIG sign on it (THIS IS A RENTAL, WHILE MY REAL TRUCK IS GETTING REPAIRED) >:D

MS03 2500 said:
Put a BIG sign on it (THIS IS A RENTAL, WHILE MY REAL TRUCK IS GETTING REPAIRED) >:D

I was stuck with a Kia once.  I had to keep telling people, "It's not my Forte!"  :laugh:

(True story)

Didn't notice until I came out from work the rental has a Georgia license plate.
Did the walk around before taking it but was looking for scratches and dings.

They probably knew the Hyundai Elantra could not make it back to Georgia so send it here dismantle it and it will come back to the US as part of a Stove. :laugh:

But really I got a quote to replace my front passenger side fender because of rust over the wheel well it was 1,900 for the real thing.

My leg is sorer after working last night, I took the rest of the week off.

Appraiser totaled it this morning, he really liked my truck and could I did too. Loaded '04 with 52,000 miles. Eva from Citizens Ins. called me back right after he left, report goes to a claims adjuster next. She's going to extend my initial 3 days Hyundai rent a car, I guess I get to keep it until they cut me a check. Forty years of driving this is only my third claim and first total.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, want to see how much they pay e first.

That sucks Flint!!!  I am glad you didn't get more banged up than you did. 

Back