• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Weird brake pad wear

ndiehm

07 AV with around 215k miles. I changed the pads around 10k miles ago and they are wearing weird. Both left and right corners on the tops of the pads are wearing hard. Like when I brake the pads rock back and forth, leaving the corners angled. I took apart the caliper, cleaned and greased the pins. Doesn't do it as bad but still pulses/shakes/grinds when I apply the brakes. Any thoughts other that a new caliper?

Were the pads sliding on the caliper bracket OK.

How about the rotors and wheel hubs.

Not sure if they slide ok. How can I tell?

Rotors and hubs are good

ndiehm said:
.... but still pulses/shakes/grinds when I apply the brakes. Any thoughts other that a new caliper?

That means rotor is not flat and has excessive runout...

This will do all sorts of things to pads as the rotor moves side to side as it rotates.

Suggest checking rotors with dial indicator to see how flat they are on BOTH sides.

It is missing the screw that attaches the rotor to the hub. Would that cause an issue?

ndiehm said:
It is missing the screw that attaches the rotor to the hub. Would that cause an issue?
not if lugs nuts are tight.

The caliper will have metal inserts that the pads slide back and forth in. If you do not have those metal inserts your pads will stick and not release all of the way. Or may sit weird in the caliper causing strange wear patterns.

Good point. Didn't think of those. I have them. I will clean them up and inspect them. Might order new ones

You mention you changed the pads.  Did you replace or at least resurface the rotors?  If not, this could be the cause of the pulsing.  Did you properly burnished the pads after replacing them?

Back