• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake lines replacement from shop?

tdsj

Hi, Think I'm in the correct sub-forum. So rusted brake line just blew. Got down there and noticed it's nothing like the plymouth breeze I used to have where all the lines came directly down from the master cylinder. So I'm not going to try my kids life to me working on it. Was curious if anyone knew or had taken their avalanche to a local shop like AAMCO or anything else that isn't a GM dealer shop. Wanting to find out what this is going to cost to have the lines replaced from the master cylinder to the ABS system and then from the ABS system out to the brakes. Please don't give me a heart attack. I seen on another forum somewhere where a guy said this. I just had all of my brake lines replaced with Classic Tube stainless steel.  It cost me $1200 at a Chevy dealer plus another $550-ish for the SS line set, not including the $450-ish emergency repair for a burst line.

please tell me this isn't even near true for a local shop

Sorry forgot to add that it's a 2004 z71 if that makes much difference.

Yet again more information. The only lines I'm wanting replaced right now is the metal tubing from the master cylinder to the ABS system and then probably the metal lines that lead to the wheels. Not the SS lines.

You don't mention what part of the country you are in and that may make a difference in labor rates etc.
From reading other older posts it is quite a job to replace the brake lines. I would have the whole system checked and replace as needed but expect if it is rusting through in one area it's bound to be aged the same in other parts too.
You should be able to call shops in your area for estimates but to get quality work you might have to find a small performance/custom hotrod  type shop if you are trying to stay away from Chevy dealers who have the quality parts, experience and tools to do the job. The cheapo discount auto maintenance places quite often have low quality parts and not very skilled mechanics working there.
I look at things this way, I don't skimp on the important things like brakes,tires,steering and if you spend money to do it right it should last another 12 years before you have the problem again.......and it's still cheaper than a new truck or getting into a wreck due to bad repair job.

Back