• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Discover a/tw's

angshan

My AV came with the GM chrome 22" rims and I dreaded running them in the snow and ice along with all the salt that that comes with that. So I purchased a set of 17" stock rims from a forum member and have been looking at tires for a few weeks now. I finally settled on cooper a/tw's. I couldn't find hardly any real reviews on them so I thought I would start a running thread on my experience with them. I got them for $150 a piece and cooper is running a special now of a $75 visa gift card with a purchase of 4 tires.  They should arrive Friday and I should be able to get them installed in the next couple weeks.
Stay tuned!

Got the tires and tpms sensors installed today.  First impressions are good. The tires are about as loud as the stock tires they replaced. You can hardly hear them until you get up around 65.
The tread is pretty deep and the lugs taper as they go down to the base. From what I read that's to pack snow into the grooves to get snow on snow traction.
So far they handle well on dry pavement. I will update as time goes on.

Those look like a newer version of the Cooper Discoverer M + S tread block!

I just got done running the first tank full of gas with these tires. I averaged 14.8 mpg. That's just about .3-4 mpg better than I was averaging with the Bridgestone duellers I use in the summer time. I drive mostly short trips around town doing 3-5 miles at a time with a 30 mile trip every other week or so.
Wet performance has been great and the same goes for dry pavement.

I ended up painting the wheels black. They had some corrosion issues that wouldn't clean up. Turned out ok. Will do for winter wheels.

Got to drive in my first snow of the year this morning. It was about an inch of sugary snow. I purposely stayed in two wheel drive to try out the tires. They handled great. Felt like I was driving on dry pavement. Starting and stopping wasn't a problem. The truck didn't wander at all when hitting slushy spots. I feel that these tires coupled with the AV's 4x4 would be an unstoppable force in the snow. Lol.
Here's a pic where you can see how they pack the snow in there to help with the snow on snow traction.

I put Mojave Teflon 16" wheels on my AV and ran BFG All Terrain tires equal diameter to 17's 24/7

When they wore out I couldn't find same BFGs same day so went with Wranglers. I preferred the BFGs and sold my stock 17s with Good Year Wranglers. I found a 16 GM aluminum wheel with almost the same number of round holes as my Mojave Teflon wheels, painted it black so my spare looked like my custom wheels. I liked 16s with an extra inch of rubber  between the road and rim due to the number of pot holes on Michigan roads. The BFG All Terrain KOs seemed quieter and smoother ride but both were good on all surfaces and conditions.

Came here to leave feedback on driving in ice today and saw who responded last, RIP flint4x4.
Tires did great in icy conditions today, I'm really happy with their performance. I wish we would get a significant storm here so I could really try them out.

Back