• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for camshaft options

av-summit

Anyone install an aftermarket cam?  I am looking for the motor to pull RPM's faster, but know I will be limited to the ramp rate on the afm lifters, also how much overlap I can go with keeping a stock tune.

Looking to see what others have done and the results

Thanks

I've installed a few but none on an AFM engine and only once on an engine that wasn't retuned.  Doubt that my experience will be too helpful.

You're limited to about .500" lift with AFM.  That doesn't leave a lot of options.

Also, the lobes with the AFM have a slightly different lift lobe profile than non-AFM lobes (all on the same camshaft) to work with the AFM setup. The lobe profile on AFM lobes have higher lift profile.  In other words, if you were to put a non-AFM camshaft in (in which case all lobe profiles are the same), the net result coupled with AFM lifters would mean lower actual lift on the AFM valves compared to the others.

One idea I had, would be to install a stock L99 camshaft.  I believe the durations and lobe separation are same as the 5.3L AFV/VVT camshafts, but the lift is maximized for AFM lifters.  I would expect no significant loss in usable low-speed torque, with mild improvement in mid-range and high rpm.  Tuning shouldn't be required, but it could help to optimize power further.

Back