• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM service swap to another vehicle

FLINTaVa

Silent Avalanche RIP
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
As some of you may know my Avalanche was totaled but that's not the point.

I had XM radio continuously since 2004, I almost canceled once but they said "no refunds" I always paid annually so had months to go, then I'd forget and they'd charge my VISA card again. They liked my money and I enjoyed the service so we left it at that.

It's different today now that it's Sirius/XM, I called to cancel my XM and the guy offered to suspend it. I just called again for a transfer, having my new radio ID ready helped. Anyway rather than being snotty like in the distant past the gal gave me an option, Free 3 month XM or update my credit card info and continue. (they had my card as expired years ago, it expires every 4 years).

I'm going to retire Jan. 1 so I took the three month free trial and XM is going to send me a check for my $100.00 balance. They want me back, can't blame them for that. You have to use bigger bait to catch bigger fish.

Hey Flint,

When I transferred from the 2010 Avalanche to the 2013, I still had a gob full of OnScare minutes and an active XM subscription on the 2010. With the GM Mobility program back then, OnScare waived my having to buy additional minutes for a year and XM did the same thing for the Directions & Connections.

With the 2013, the program changed again and I advised them their plans did not fit my needs. They kept throwing discounts at me, I wasn't trying to beat them down and finally just said no. I replaced the Nav system with another that also connects to CarPlay from Apple and the other for Android last year. I was very surprised to her how much better the sound is and I had a Premium system in both Avalanches.

My Stereo Guy says he never uses XM to demonstrate the various head unit he sells.

Now, XM will not stop with their persistence in trying to get me back, but again, they just did not fit my general driving needs and the Pandora and others fill the bill for longer drives.

I will say the OnScare System in the 2013 was a vast improvement over the 2003 & 2010 Avalanches. Very seldom was was there an issue with the Voice Interface on the 2013.

With my Mobile Cell Lines and a much broader range of Cell Phone Feature Options, OnScare without Voice Mail or Call Forwarding just didn't do it for me anymore.

Cat Dancer,

Apparently competition has forced XM to realize they aren't the only dog & pony show in town.
I posted due to the amazing difference in their customer relations compared to 10 years ago.
I get my money back for unused service and get a free trial on the new(er) ride.

I often listen to sports and talk and have never used a NAV system, I think I kept OnStar an extra year after the first year free. I do listen to music too and the clarity in the Bose system wasn't bad.

I made a (correctible) mistake, I expected my XM to work when I went outside. The gal said she would send me a refund and I was eligible for a free 3 month trial and . I still have to call to activate my free trial! Works for me, I may as well wait until midnight and start it Oct. 1

As for clarity, I used to cobble together both home and vehicle audio systems since before the cassette tape replaced the 8-track. We used to use signal boosters, sound suppressors, etc.... maybe someone needs to invent a better antennae for XM?

I still have my XM going for 18 bucks a month it's worth it. But I have to admit the sound quality is not that good, my FM stations sound clearer

Hey Guys,

I was not inferring the Service was inferior and I do agree there has been a vast improvement with Customer Service/Relations since back in 2003.

My problem was the Cramming between OnScare and XM to fully utilize the Traffic and Weather services. As with all services, there is bill creep and in this day of Over the Air options either via WiFi, LTE or other such outlets, continually paying fees for items like map UpDates when Google & Apple Maps are virtually always up to date and then add Waze to the mix, I just felt like I was paying in a redundant manner for services that were widely available via my Android and Apple cell phones.

It as very convenient to have all of this working on the OEM GM GPS Head unit, but it was like there should have been a Coin Slot in the dash to use it.

Same thing with OnScare Calling, the bundles need to be modified to properly compete or integrate with the Wireless Carriers or find a better way to work nicely with them. CarPlay and Android Auto are still evolving and not without growing pains too.

Agreed, this is still a developing technology with much room for refinement.

Remember back in the day when it was a choice, No Radio or one with AM?

We've come a long way Baby!

Hey! I wasn't complaining, just surprised I'll get a refund after I canceled my service.

You got better support than I did... I cancelled my service back in December of last year and they apparently had a computer glitch that showed it was still active and tried to bill me for months I had my truck in storage. The person on the phone acted like they were reading from a script and didn't listen to what I was telling them. I told them I cancelled the service back in December, did not want the service then nor now and the truck had been parked and unused. I had called them because I opened a bill that told me they tried to bill my credit card and it failed but they had not "shut off" my service as a courtesy.

I told them that I had the service cancelled and cancelled the account the card was attached to for other reasons. They tried to bill me for the "service already used" even though I told them the truck hadn't been started in months. And explained to them I had cancelled my service months ago. They tried to tell me I never cancelled my service and it was still active. After going in circles for like 20 minutes she put me to someone else that tried to offer me $99 for a year... Another 10 minutes of explaining and they told me they couldn't do anything and how would I like to pay my bill and would I like to get the $99 for a year offer. After going through this 2 more times with 2 more operators I finally hung up. They have sent me 2 bills since but continue to offer me deals every month. That was back in June...

So yea, I won't get Xm turned on ever again... They make it easy to sign up but seems like you have to give your right arm to get them to stop the service...

Maybe was difference in people talked to... And nope I don't plan to pay their $24 bill either... No clue how they still had me as active. Looks like instead of deactivating me they gave me a few extra months for free and then billed me for service.

So I suggest checking back later to insure they actually did cancel your account. Wasted about an hour of my time...

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
So I suggest checking back later to insure they actually did cancel your account.

I intend to do so Monday morning. The gal said my VISA card expired but their computer doesn't know that and my card expires and gets renewed every four years. I am going to insure they don't bill me for the Avalanche XM until they send me a check for $100 refund.

redheadedrod said:
So yea, I won't get Xm turned on ever again... They make it easy to sign up but seems like you have to give your right arm to get them to stop the service...

I hear ya, I was going to quit once but I had gave them my VISA number to charge me annually. They said no refunds so the only way to quit was to wait until it expired or cancel my credit card. They'd let me cancel early but I had prepaid for the year so might as well use it. Then I forgot to cancel and paid for another year which is what they count on,... but I decided I liked it and kept it since 2004.

Anyway I was quite surprised to get offered a refund and a free trial, she could have just transferred my balance. I thought she was going to activate my radio but that's not what she said. I forgot to do it yesterday but just did it online and the gal thanked me for being a valued customer. It's a world of difference from when I was going to quit years back.

I get $100 back and a 90 trial on the new/used Acadia which takes me right thru my retirement date. I don't want to make any more decisions right now. I could trade the Acadia in on a used Avalanche and get another 90 free XM trial.

Back