• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aluminum Differential Cover

TowWhiteAv2500

The rusty mess that was my stock differential cover needed replaced and I wanted something that would cool the fluid better and not rust out again.  I went with a B&M Aluminum cover for my 2500 with the 10.5" 14 bolt (they also sell one for the 1500 guys).  Install was pretty simple, the hardest part was getting a socket on the old rusty bolts. This thing helps cool the rear end for sure.  After a 100 mile trip towing my TT on mostly flat ground with the stock cover, the temp read with IR gun was 182?.  After the new cover and another 100 mile trip with lots of hills right before the destination, it read 125?.  The outside air temp was probably 10? cooler on the second trip, but still a significant drop in temp.

Old cover off and cleaned up

Out of the box.

Sealant applied, that says Made in USA on the inside if you look close

All bolted on, stainless hardware is included

How much more fluid does it take now.

I had seen those and wondered had anyone tried it yet.

It takes an extra half quart.  Factory fill was listed at 2.75 quarts, I put in 3.25 using the factory fill in the side of the case.  The fill in the cover is actually higher I think.  I guess if you measured out 3.25 quarts the fill in the cover may be a little easier.

I've been debating that one or the Mag Hytec but I do not think the Mag Hytec will clear the swaybar I put on.

I think when I was comparing it the stock one the center part wasn't much taller, the outsides where the fins are obviously stick out more than the stock.  I'll take some measurements tomorrow when I'm out in the garage.

The bottom starts at about 1.75" and tapers out.  The flat machined face in the center is 4" tall. Pics added for measure/profile reference. Pardon he weeds in my driveway I forgot to measure before I took the truck out of the garage.

I was told the 1500 rear end couldn't support such a cover because of the sway bar...

So from this message I am guessing I was misinformed?

Rodney

If you don't mind how wide is the center face

redheadedrod said:
I was told the 1500 rear end couldn't support such a cover because of the sway bar...

Rodney

B&M makes one that fits the all the 8.5/8.6 10-bolt differentials, as to it clearing the sway bar I am not sure.

redheadedrod said:

Rodney
No they have 2500....

Thanks I'll measure mine Tuesday and see if it will clear my swaybar

CarMech1969 said:
TowWhiteAv2500, that is a nice looking piece you got there  (y)
How much did that run ya for??

CarMech1969
JEGS and other sell them for about $190, they also have a black powder coated version for more. I got it a little cheaper because we sell them at work. I looked at the Mag-Hytec but decided I didn't want a 6 quart synthetic oil change, since I plan to change it fairly often due to towing.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/70501/10002/-1

Back