• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

instrument panel intermittenly worked, and now nothing.

thumpinbass

For the past couple months, every once and a while, I will drive the AV and the IP wont work.  No gauges, no DIC, etc.  Turn signals will display and blink when I use them. And normally while I am driving, the IP cluster suddenly comes on, all the lights come on, like you just started the AV and go off and the gauges are working also.

This only happened once and a while.  But lately, its been happening more often.  Yesterday, I drove the AV 5 times and the IP didn't work for any of them or came on during the drive like it used too.  Turn signal will blink when turning but that's about it on the display.  Its almost like the IP loses power and comes back on.  I haven't added, removed or did any aftermarket mods for over a year.

Any suggestions?  Even though I can drive the AV,  I can't keep track of mileage, speed or how much fuel I have right now.

Need help!

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,150427.0.html

There are a few links in that thread that tell you where you can have it repaired or find information on how to do it yourself. Mine did the same thing, it was intermittent then just gave up the ghost.

It's quite easy to pop the entire cluster out, they'll rebuild it with all new stepper motors and lights. Not sure what it costs today. You may have someone local that can do it same day but you can mail it and get it back in less than a week.

and your DIC display was also out?    Just seems strange that the whole cluster would just stop working that everything in it went bad at the same time.  I have new stepper motors, needles and led bulbs for that, but not sure that will fix my DIC display problem or the other lights that come on when you turn the truck on at first.

Or try reseating it into connector by removing and then putting back in.

ygmn said:
Or try reseating it into connector by removing and then putting back in.

Would this be based on the assumption that I did replace the motors, leds, etc and maybe didn't put the IP back correctly?  I ask because I have never removed the cluster yet to do any of that yet. 

On another note, when turning the vehicle on twice this morning, the cluster has worked so I never know when it will and won't work. 

Sounds like it may be an intermittent ground issue to me.

enoniam said:
Sounds like it may be an intermittent ground issue to me.

Mine did the same thing then quit completely, I had it rebuilt.

if you take the cluster out, check the board, top right corner if I remember right, loose solder joint, re-solder and your good to go, until a motor goes out, lol.

Didit

thumpinbass said:
For the past couple months, every once and a while, I will drive the AV and the IP wont work.
I had a buddy with a '80 Toyota Tercel. In '93, the IC went out. His speedo registered either zero or 95 MPH (top speed).  Was the only Tercel I know that went zero to 5 in less than a second.

He drove like that for another five years before getting a Honda Del Sol.

Mine did the same thing and ended up being the power capacitor blew on it. Best thing to do is send it to someone that does these day in and day out. Its relatively cheap and I know atleast dashdr.com provides a lifetime warranty on the work. They fixed my cluster and my temp reading on the mirror.

Rodney

Back