• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4l80 and matching transfer case swap

yellow04nfe

I think this is the right place to ask? So I plan on swapping the drivetrain from my suburban 2500 to the avalanche after I do my duramax swap next summer :) Anyway, I know the motor isn't a big deal. My question is, what, if anything, do I need to do to swap the suburban trans and transfer case into the avalanche? I've read all the 4l60 to 80 trans swap threads about modifying the crossmember, but do I have to do that if I'm swapping that transfer case with it? And yea, the lq4 will be heavily modified before it goes in (y)

:welcome:  yellow04nfe ad to your sig year and  1500 or 2500. They are two different animals.  If you are adding these parts to a 1500 can be done but it is not a plug and play. There are threads on it being done and what is needed.

From his introduction, he has an '03 (thus the yellow  >:D) North Face Edition so I suspect it's a 1500.  Still a good idea to add it to the signature.  (y)

frito said:
From his introduction, he has an '03 (thus the yellow  >:D) North Face Edition so I suspect it's a 1500.  Still a good idea to add it to the signature.   (y)

It did not even register when I wrote it. Yellow, color; 04, year 2004; NFE, North Face Edition.  I guess you have to be in tune with your surroundings.    :oops:
Were any NFE 2500's?

JVZL1 said:
It did not even register when I wrote it. Yellow, color; 04, year 2004; NFE, North Face Edition.  I guess you have to be in tune with your surroundings.    :oops:
Were any NFE 2500's?
It's actually a trick.  Yellow was only available in '03.  He mentioned in a different post he's trying to change his user name. ;)  Were there any NFE 2500's - that's the 64,000 question.  That thing would be a super rare bird for sure if it's a yellow, 2500 and NFE edition.  If such a thing exists, I can't believe there'd be even ten of them.

frito said:
It's actually a trick.  Yellow was only available in '03.  He mentioned in a different post he's trying to change his user name. ;)  Were there any NFE 2500's - that's the 64,000 question.  That thing would be a super rare bird for sure if it's a yellow, 2500 and NFE edition.  If such a thing exists, I can't believe there'd be even ten of them.

Nope

I'm confused by your info....so good luck
demax into a 1500 avalanche with a 4l60e trans??? Whats the 6.0L going in?

with the 1500 id use the 2500 suburban frame also, cladded, WBH?  either way will basically bolt on with bumper mods
may need a body lift to clear dmax radiator/intercooler N stuff
Ya the motor is no big deal...hahahahahha
4l65e is a min for the dmax  They come factory that way in some vans, detuned btw....
use 2500 transfer case or big boom  
12 or 14 bolt rear aint a bad idea

yellow04nfe go to  Alaska_AV.  build threads.

frito said:
It's actually a trick.  Yellow was only available in '03.  He mentioned in a different post he's trying to change his user name. ;)  Were there any NFE 2500's - that's the 64,000 question.  That thing would be a super rare bird for sure if it's a yellow, 2500 and NFE edition.  If such a thing exists, I can't believe there'd be even ten of them.

That what I was thing but you did not mention that in your earlier post. We always can depend on  MS03 2500 and Alaska_AV.

Sorry for the confusion guys. I'll work on editing my signature over the weekend. Ok, the AV is an 03 1500. My suburban is an 01 2500. The 'burb will be getting the complete duramax drivetrain. I will then have the suburban drivetrain to transplant into the AV. That's the plan anyway, lol! Hope this helps (y)

Oh that's what you meant, the only problems I see is the rear axles

Your 1500 has coil springs and a 8.5 or 8.6 inch ring gear so you may want to beef it up.

Now 2500 Burbs came in 2 flavors

1 6.0 engines with 4l80e and a 14 inch semi floater rear axle
2 8.1 engine with 4l85e and a 14 inch full floater rear axle just like a 2500 AV

Do read Alaska AV build thread.

With 2500 t-case, 4L80 trans, and front diff going into a 1500 are not driveline mods needed at the least.

JVZL1 said:
With 2500 t-case, 4L80 trans, and front diff going into a 1500 are not driveline mods needed at the least.

You bet custom made driveshafts, the ujoints are bigger.

PS Wait till he tries to put the duramax in that burb

Take it to Alaska AV and get a loaner from him to get it done right. It may take awhile to be completed, but the Road Trip both ways would be a great way to Meet and Greet many members!

Just Saying......... (y)

Alaska_AV. said:

I wasn't trying to Drag you into stuff but you do have a propensity for tackling the best intriguing projects never conceived by GM and getting things done.

Is it the long nights/short nights or the long days/short nights that has permitted this or your wonderful access to local Part Suppliers wanting to Clear their shelves?

Thanks for Sharing all of your Projects and hopefully more to come!  :love:

Maybe I threw this out there a little prematurely, lol. After doing a little more research, I think I found what i need to know... Seems all I gotta do is follow the procedure for a 4l80 swap, keep my transfer case bolted to it, and I guess have to shorten the rear driveshaft and lengthen the front? Also, without crawling under the trucks to check(rainy day in PA today), the suburban and the avalanche probably have the same transfer case? That was my main concern, but seems as tho the 4wd/awd transfer case is the same 149 in both vehicles? Btw, anybody know of Greg Lovell is a member here? I wasn't planning on actually BUILDING the AV when I bought it, but was inspired when I stumbled across his avalanche build :eek:

The output shaft on the trannys are different 4l80 is 32 spline the 4l60 is 27

Back