• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Another AV for me!

blu_fuz

Since my other 07 LTZ is just too dang pretty for winter duty now, I ran across this peach for $4000 on craigslist. Talked them down to $2500 because it is really beat up, filthy and has plenty of repairs it needs.

2007 Black
LTZ
5.3L
215,000 miles
Autoride (blown bags and bad compressor)
Heated titanium leather
DVD/Nav BOSE with headliner DVD unit
4wd
20" LTZ polished alloys
Sunroof

It has 5/6cyl lifters stuck and it runs really rough. Dents on just about every panel. Dirty inside/out. Surface rust on most panels. Tailgate doesn't open. KBB for fair condition is almost $8,000 so for $2500 it was a no brainer.

The interior will clean up nice. I will practice my own bondo and paint on the outside if I ever really want to. For now, it runs, shifts, drives, and is a hell of a rig to tool around in winter to save my Bermuda Blue AV from the salt/sand/snow.

Things that I know are broken or damaged:
- tailgate handle bezel cracked/missing chunks patched
- tailgate latch seized and locked FIXED
- passenger mirror glass/housing broken FIXED
- drivers mirror, no glass/housing broken FIXED
- cracked grill
- drivers side step split from front to back
- drivers rear exterior handle
- front bumper peeling paint and dented
- rear bumper bashed in both corners
- tow harness plug broken FIXED
- dented hood, drivers side doors & rear 1/4 panel, passenger rear door & rear 1/4 panel
- HVAC blend doors do what they want
- Autoride air shocks are blown
- Autoride compressor not working
- 2 stuck lifters in engine replace all 16 FIXED
- service stabilitrac/traction light on FIXED
- check engine codes for EVAP, O2 sensors, and misfires o2 sensors and misfires FIXED
- service suspension light on FIXED
- tire pressure sensor lights on
- tears in rear seat bottoms
- carpet is destroyed CLEANED
- missing 2 knobs off the rear entertainment console
- missing bed panel #3 FIXED
- passenger rear floor mat (other ones are destroyed anyway) CLEANED
- missing 1 wheel center cap FIXED
- worn steering wheel leather & spoke covers
- dented airbag chevy logo
- filthy headliner CLEANED
- brake switch broken (no cruise) FIXED
- fuel door spring missing FIXED

Some good points:
- leather cleaned up great
- Nav works
- DVD works
- no blown speakers
- trans shifts smooth when the stabilitrac/traction light is off
- 4 newer tires
- new fuel pump
- new gas tank
- new power steering lines
- newer rotors and pads
- rear glass frame not cracked!
- heated seats and other interior functions all work
- alignment feels good

So far I did these things:
- bought center cap
- bought R/L side mirrors
- installed fuel door spring
- scrubbed all of the interior but the carpet
- cleaned the bed and midgate gasket
- fixed the tailgate handle
- bought new tow harness plug end for hitch
- got spare key and bed panel from previous owner

I'm selling some other things to come up with the money to replace the 16 lifters and associated parts. Hopefully it runs well after and then I will work on some of the cosmetic exterior bits.

14324358_10157391896510394_1777840280643754067_o_zpsuxegsi49.jpg

IMG_5894_zpsrlgztn6q.jpg

IMG_5901_zpsdhdhyesk.jpg

IMG_5913_zpssik5fwor.png

Still jealous!!!  >:D

For $2,500 Id have bought it no questions asked as well!  (y)

The tailgate latch mechanism on my '04 popped a spring so wouldn't unlock. I could get it too open with a screwdriver from outside if I played with it but it's hard to do. After crawling inside and removing the screws to unlock it several times I just quit locking it.  :D 

$2,500 is a steal, you could drive it thru the winter then part it out and make over 5 times that back.  (y)

The tailgate latch handle was seized up and lock was stuck locked. I pulled the handle assembly out, lubed, worked it, added return spring to handle mech, and now she locks, unlocks, and the latches click with a push of a finger  (y). No cost, just a little TLC.

Installed the mirrors this weekend and found a lovely fuel leak somewhere above the tank on the front end.... fuel was sprayed all under the truck and sprinkled all over the tailgate after I had to drive it for a few miles.

With the fuel all over, that pretty much forced me to wash the outside. I don't think it has been washed in years to be honest.

All I used was a car soap, hot water, and our scrub wand. No biggie, no wax, etc... This really shined up nice! I will wax it eventually just to keep some of the luster.

Pics of the nice side only:

:love:

IMG_6561_zpsuqoqaixh.jpg

IMG_6563_zpsdv8w6dq1.jpg

IMG_6564_zpsm30j8phd.jpg

Fender flares should arrive today! That will cover a lot of the rust and dents to the rear wheel well openings. Still hoping to find 2 driver side black doors some day.

(y)

I found the fuel leak too! Somehow a quick connector came apart in front of the tank for the return fuel line. Clipped them back together and no more fuel leak! I love easy fixes.

Looking good! Maybe all those layers of dirt was actually protecting the finish  :laugh:

It'll look great once you get the fender flares on it as well! And the fact that it is black ought to make it easier to find pre-painted replacement parts from salvage yards, etc!  (y)

Thanks guys  (y).

Don't be too jelly over this turd even though I did polish it a little  :laugh:.

It really is f'd up and the costs keep going up and up and up and will easily be a beat up turd that hopefully will run right after I have about $4,000 in it total. The body will still be dented, rusty, and abused, etc.....

Saturday it goes in for lifter swap. Crossing my fingers that the lifters really bring it back to life. If not, I have to sell it simply because I have no more $$$$ to spend  :E: :cry:

Little bit better every day  (y)

I pulled the brake switch from my other AV and put in this truck so the cruise will work again and the CEL code for the faulty brake switch will go away.

Installed the 2 drivers side fender flares last night. The bushwacker pocket flares with the bolts are really dang big and look a little strange with stock offset stock wheels. They do cover the dents and rust very well, so they do the job and the price was right. I'm happy with them.

I can't wait to drive it after the lifters are replaced. Couple days left! :cool:

Holy smokes, she sings again!

(y) :B: :love:

16 lifters replaced it drives and shifts so smooth.  :cool:

Service stabilitrack light is off
Service traction control light is off
Misfire flashing CEL is gone
Service suspension light is off
Brake switch CEL is gone

What an amazing deal this is turning out to be. Right now I have invested about $4,000 in the truck purchase and repairs. The flares cover the rust and dents on the 1/4 panels really well. Some day down the road I hope to find a good deal on both drivers side doors.

Very very happy that the engine and transmission are OK.

(y)

IMG_6780_zpsxmfblgsj.jpg

IMG_6793_zpsgmxpn1h7.jpg

IMG_6787_zpsatarqyvj.jpg

IMG_6785_zpsr5wt7sab.jpg

IMG_6792_zpsrebs3h0h.jpg

That is a great find.  What area did you find that in if you don't mind me asking?

With all the problems I'm discovering and the more money I put into the AV that my brother-in-law sold me (with family discount), I'm considering selling it as well for around $2500. It's in pretty much the same condition as this black one you just bought, but it's an 02 1500 4WD.  I got it drivable and got the odometer lit again but the major issues left are 4WD not working, typical ABS issue, AC not working (though fully charged, no leak), and coolant leak at the water pump.  If I'm serious, I'll probably post it both on Craigslist and at the For Sale section of this forum, with pictures.  The interior is beautiful cosmetically as well, just the typical rust around the rear wheel wells.  I'm still torn, now that I see you put those black fender flares, I'm inspired doing the same thing...if I keep it.  I will continue posting for help to get it fixed up in the meantime.  

It was listed on craigslist for $4,000. The ad was worded as if they just wanted it gone, an eyesore to the family, disgrace, and has problems.  After I saw it in person, I agreed! I played on their emotions of probably not saving it, that it could need a motor, transmission, body work on just about all the panels, and it was god awful filthy. I hit them with a $2,000 offer right away, he countered at $3,000, and I said there is no way I am paying more than $2,500 and he agreed. I actually never test drove it, for the price I didn't need to.

I drove it home an hour away. Unburned fuel smell dumping out of the exhaust because of 2 stuck lifters causing the misfire. So dirty inside I didn't want to touch anything. Engine bucking and almost stalling at the stop light. Transmission shifting so hard it would chirp the tires for the 1-2 upshift after every stop.

It was a hot mess.

If this AV wasn't the new body style, I wouldn't have bought it.

I still say that was a excellent buy for a beater.

Never thought of that. I just looked on CL anf found a 2002 4x4 with way less miles and nicer insides than mine.

Hmm...

Back