• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Parking/Emergency Brake Light Question

ngrome

Ok, so I researched online and in this forum and there is a thread which discusses the parking or emergency brake staying on. But I wanted to ask this question as it relates to my 02 Avalanche given I provide the conditions below:

1) Originally, the intermediate brake cable was snapped, so while I drive, parking brake light blinks and the dinging sound in the cabin rings constantly while the truck is moving forward, then stops when it's stopped or in park.

2) I replaced the intermediate brake cable, seemed simple enough, started tightening the screw nut to increase the tension and started pushing the foot brake lever down to test. E-brake pedal is nice and high, maybe too high, but as I press it down, I don't hear any clicking sound like you would expect. It felt like or I heard a spring popped or something gave way in the process, but I press down and check the tension and the brake cable is tight all around. Is the pedal supposed to click when you press it down?

3) I tested by pressing pedal all the way down, e-brakes don't seem to be holding as truck is still lurching forward, though I feel some drag, so does that mean I need to adjust it more tight?

4) Finally, e-brake light is no longer flashing and annoying dinging sound is gone with replacing the intermediate cable, but it is still staying lit on this time, instead of flashing.  Oh, and ABS light also staying lit on, it always has been on since I took the truck off my bro-inlaws hands. Am I risking driving it with the e-brakes applied?  I don't feel any drag though as I can release the pedal, and it moves back up.

Given the above conditions, can any of you guys give me a clue?  Thanks in advance!

Here's the related thread I was referencing:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=72719.0

The parking brake on 02-06 Chevy trucks has always been an issue. They typically do not hold and the parking brake itself does not make clicking sounds like you are used to. The brake light and ABS light are related but that probably points to another problem which could be either a bad ABS sensor or more than likely a bad ABS module. If you parking brake was dragging your rear rotors would be hot after even a short drive.

02 Z71 said:
The parking brake on 02-06 Chevy trucks has always been an issue. They typically do not hold and the parking brake itself does not make clicking sounds like you are used to. The brake light and ABS light are related but that probably points to another problem which could be either a bad ABS sensor or more than likely a bad ABS module. If you parking brake was dragging your rear rotors would be hot after even a short drive.

Thanks man, I popped the ABS fuse back in and the ABS light is gone, as well as the ebrake light disappeared, but yeah, that parking brake barely holds, if it does, useless. Which is why I was worried that I was tightening the cable way too much trying to see if I can make it hold, and when I pull the ebrake release lever, it does move back up (doesn't pop, just comes back up).  Is there a way to visibly check if the parking brake was dragging if I remove the rear wheels?  I think one of my wheels, rear passenger, was actually warm after a 10 mile drive since I changed the intermediate cable. It wasn't hot like the seized caliper on the front passenger side which I just replaced, but it was definitely warmer than the other wheels when I was doing the touchy, feely test. 

Back