• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

That Avalanche Guy

FLINTaVa

Silent Avalanche RIP
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Let begin by saying I've driven an Avalanche since June 2001, the '04 got totaled.

Today a grocery store worker that used to walk his dog in front of my house was gathering carts in the parking lot and was totally stunned. He said, "You traded your Avalanche in?" and I had to explain. I don't even know his name but we've spoken countless times.

I live in a city of 100,000 people and worked in a GM factory since 1985 that currently employs about 3,000. I don't know if I'll ever replace my truck, (I might) but I think I'll always be "that Avalanche Guy". I've lost count of Avalanche apparel I wear quite regularly. Lord forbid you engage me in a conversation and ask me about the truck,... I'm known for being quite longwinded to say the least. I might give you a history lesson that starts with the invention of the automobile so many people avoid asking me questions. I don't know exactly when I became "that Avalanche Guy" but it was before I found the club in '04 looking for mods for my '02.
My best pal for 50 years knows to ask a very succinct question to get a short answer.

To be succinct or make a long story short I had a great ride for 15+ years but it's not exactly over. I can't replace my truck but I might find one I like enough to buy it. I can ride in several people's Avalanche and a few might even let me drive.

That Avalanche Guy (having an identity crisis without his truck)

Hey Flint,

I could go in several different directions with this topic and make it an unintentional silly long winded post. Okay for you and a few others but I will resist that temptation.

Are you have having conflicts with Morphing from being the Avalanche Guy and towards becoming the Acadia Guy, or just enjoying the transition for going through the Twilight Zone?

Both are good, Just Asking!

Flint - after you retire, come on out to California. I'll let you drive my Avy! I need to put more miles on my Buick anyways!  (y)

Cat Dancer,

Good questions. The answer is yes I am enjoying it in a sense but I'm seriously conflicted. I'll always be the Avalanche Guy to some people. If I do get another AV nobody would be surprised, least of all me.

I endured the, "that's one ugly truck" among other negative comments along with the positive ones over the years. I can't go anywhere local without getting asked why I traded the Arrival Blue AV by people I don't even know.

Maybe I should have titled the thread, "Funeral For an AV" by all the condolences I've been receiving when they hear I didn't trade it in. I've heard mostly positive comments about my new b(ride) the Acadia too. The next most asked question next is "are you keeping her or getting another AV?" and the answer is I don't know yet.

I guess I just wanted to share the fact that now it seems everyone loved my truck almost as much as I did. The amount of  :B:  :love:  is almost surreal. I knew many people associated me with the truck but I didn't realize how many and how respectful they'd be.

I know I'm not the first club member to lose their truck and won't be the last. I still have a '94 S10 I'm attached to and won't sell but I've never become so attached to a vehicle as I was the '04 AV

greatgab said:
Flint - after you retire, come on out to California. I'll let you drive my Avy! I need to put more miles on my Buick anyways!  (y)

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it as I have family in CA  :wave: 

I could rent it from you with a formal contract if I borrowed it for a day or two so it went on my insurance with full coverage  :0:

Flint4x4 said:
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it as I have family in CA  :wave: 

I could rent it from you with a formal contract if I borrowed it for a day or two so it went on my insurance with full coverage   :0:

Deal... but I have to warn you... It's a second gen without cladding  :p

greatgab said:
Deal... but I have to warn you... It's a second gen without cladding  :p  

LOL! at least I'm familiar with most of the changes to the controls since my GMC is 2011.

I was  :kidding:  as I've grown to hate flying over the years for numerous reasons.
It's not really the flying part, it's the increase in airport rules and restrictions I dislike.

To misquote the theme from "Smokey and the Bandit",
I've got a long way to go and plenty of time to get there.

I've never been West of Wisconsin in the northern states, I had plans to drive the AV to CA via Seattle. That road trip is still possible but it won't be the same as I envisioned it without the blue AV.

Sperry had those plans too. He was about to retire when he acquired his 03. We had near identical Avalanches other than he had XM and a roof rack. It used to fool his loosely extended family/passel of kids when I'd pull in to his driveway before he would arrive to meet meet me.

He said he was fixing his rig up with all the tech stuff just because he could and then planned drive all over the country going from 1 GTG to another.

This was part of his passion to get the Cadillac GPS system functioning. He even set up some switches on the driver's side C pillar that he could use to remote start, control the lights, windows, radio, CD/DVD, and over ride the RAP stuff when he'd lower the mid gate and sleep in the bed. One would not have even noticed them if he hadn't pointed it out.

Cat Dancer - I'd owned an '02 almost 3 years when I found the club. I signed up as a supporting member instantly as I recognized kindred spirits and Sperry was one. We never got to meet  :(  but exchanged PMs a few times.

My '02 was LPM which would be far easier to find than an ABM, (I could always paint it ABM later). I'm going for condition rather than color, that and price as I'll pay cash if I find the right deal on a truck.

I don't expect to ever become a club legend like Pete or Sperry.
I like to think they are smiling at our efforts and antics they helped inspire.  :cool:

I think I know how You feel, I had a 04 Chevy Silverado and it was totaled in Feb then I saw the Avalanche and loved it. After seeing that vechicle I knew that a pick-up would not do. I am enjoying My Avalanche and glad I have one.

That's it, Just Rub It In While He's Still Bleeding!

You both were in a place I hope to never be.

There is a solution in here somewhere.

14724374_1509678395712599_1713192367202274164_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1509678395712599&set=gm.353322935014402&type=3&theater

BooomerX, that looks tempting but think I'll stand pat with retirement in two months. (31 more works days)

I have the Acadia and S10 ext. cab, both with about 55k and don't want to sell either. Don't need 3 vehicles.

It's a 1994 2WD 4 cyl, 2.2 L ext cab with sliding rear glass and matching fiberglass topper.

I wanted the 4.3 but I couldn't find one plain, got it 2 days before sales tax increased to 6%

The 2.2 isn't bad, it won't win any races but I've pulled people out of the snow with it.
The topper adds some weight, tossing in a few bags of cat litter or salt adds traction  :D 

Back