• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Here's my AC issue...

ngrome

Ok, so I did what most of us cheapskates do when recharging our AC, get the can of R134a with the supplied inaccurate gauge. I realize it's best to get the manifold and check the pressures on both the LO and HI sides as well as recapture and draw in the refrigerant but I don't have that kind of money nor skills to do that right now.

So I saw all the similar YouTube videos, including the one to jumper the AC compressor, which I had to do because it wasn't kicking in at all.  So when I jumpered the compressor, I heard it kick in, as weak as it sounds, it started drawing in SOME of the refrigerant from the can.  I started feeling the low pressure side line getting cool, but not that sweaty cold that it should be ideally.  The refrigerant would not exit the can despite me holding it upside down and shaking it while connected to the low pressure valve. The gauge showed I raised the pressure but the air through the vents is still warm.  I did not want to risk overfilling and left the pressure in the green area as I had one of those refill cans without the trigger to dispense, I don't know if that would have made a difference but I've had success with just dispensing the can by shaking and holding it upside down.

Furthermore, when I reconnected the compressor switch to the accumulator the compressor would not kick in.

So bad compressor?  Bad fan clutch?  Someone said it could be a stuck blower door if your system seems filled, not overfilled, but not getting cold.  Where can I find and unstick that blower door?  Is it similar to this video for a 05 Colorado?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syTv59MD8ns

Anything could be wrong.

Really take to AC shop and have it looked at before you ruin the compressor which will set you back a bunch of money.

Back