• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Squared or rounded brake pad ears ?

brownprider07

I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 2wd. I can't find anything online regarding this. Why am I given two options ? Does it matter which one for the front and rear ? I currently need to do the rear ones because I hear a squeaking when driving. Now I'm wondering about the front ones.
    I think when I replaced them awhile ago , I just went with whatever was there or something.

P.S Do these trucks use anti rattle clips ? I can't remember if I put any on or not. Man I am so bad at remembering. Now that I think about it I think I had a friend so my rear brakes a long time ago.  :help:

Where are you looking at. Rockauto ,autozone,etc

On something that old, one of the wheels will have to be pulled for examination - unless the caliper bracket can be plainly seen between the spokes.  

Round is available, but it would be hard to mistake one for the other.

Wow I can say I've never seen a squared pad.

It looks like this I'm 99.9 percent sure you have round ones.

Oh yeah I got the picture from rockauto

Attachments

• squarepad.GIF
    squarepad.GIF
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
Am thinking those are squared ears, pictured.  The round ears look radically different.

That's why a look-see is probably in order.

See two options. When I did the rear ones, I had someone else do them so they could be the right ones or they could be the wrong ones. By that I mean the ear shape if it matters.

Take off the wheel and see which ones you have, like nick@night suggested.

MS03 2500 said:
Take off the wheel and see which ones you have, like nick@night suggested.

The advocates agree.  Guessing serves no useful purpose.

Another idea:

Purchase every available option, then return the ones you don't use.

It's the American way.

rear is different depending on whether you have locker or not which determines if you have 2 or 1 piston rear calipers.

Lockers have 2 piston and pad are the same as 2500 fronts I think.....

I know it has 2 pistons. I'm not worried about that. I'm just wondering about the shape of the "ears" of the brake pads. I had a friend install my brake pads when I first got the truck because I wasn't really into doing my on stuff. So they aren't the original ones obviously. So really what I'm wondering will the squared ears fit in the rounded ear pads or vice versa

The difference is material semi-metallic and organic which material do you want. 

Nick@Night said:
The advocates agree.  Guessing serves no useful purpose.

Another idea:

Purchase every available option, then return the ones you don't use.

It's the American way.

And forget you bought the second set until you find them 5 years later and can't return them then sell em for $5 at a yard sale if you can find anyone to buy them...

They were the squared ears one. I don't mean to change the topic for a hot minute but if you have a g80 Locker do the trucks have the bigger sized rotors 330mm ? I tried looking online but all I see is people saying " why replace? Just resurface them" with no real help.

According to my manual the rotors are the same 330mm, it's just the calipers are different.

Me personally I like the design of the square pads less chance to bind over the round ones.

PS you can't jack your own thread, sometimes just ignore some comments and keep posting what you find.

redheadedrod said:
And forget you bought the second set until you find them 5 years later and can't return them then sell em for $5 at a yard sale if you can find anyone to buy them...

You must know me.

JVZL1 said:
The difference is material semi-metallic and organic which material do you want. 

Each manufacture designs their pads by what material they are made from and tended use.
I.e.; better gripping, evacuating dust and gas, cooling. So if you are moving up from organic you are going to have a different design shape in pads.
So if it were me if the pads say organic I would not use them on a 6000lb truck especially if I?m towing.   

Rear Rotors are different...

I forget....

But there is a thread here some where where someone measured and gave differences.

Back