• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need help!! Looking for a tire before i buy lift

firemansAV

I looked and didnt see anything. I have been looking at the Rough Country 7.5 In lift kit. i want to do it all at once get the lift kit and tires and rims but need help with what size i can fit without scrubbing. I have a 07 Z71

I have a 07 with a 6" Pro Comp lift and I have 34's on the factory 20's and had slight rubbing on full turns.  I have noticed that rough country lifts end up being slightly lower in height after install than stated.  I have a buddy with a 6" rough country lift and he has 35's on the factory 20's and his sits lower than mine by about an inch.  Having said that though I think that you should easily be able to get 35's under it without too many issues with rubbing.  A tip if you do get slight rubbing especially if it is just on the plastic parts, before cutting, try a heat gun to soften the plastic enough and then push it out of the way using a piece of wood like a 2x2.  Than is how I got rid of my slight rubbing issues.  each vehicle sits a little different even though they are the same make, model etc so it is hard to say exactly what will fit.  Good luck.

Tires really depend on what you are going to be doing with your AV. Are you still planning to tow? Are you going to go offroad? Pavement Princess? 50/50? etc. If you are going to be a 50/50 or some variant of that, I would stay away from Mud Terrains, they are for the most part very loud at hwy speed. There are a lot of All Terrain tires out there that offer great on/off road traction, one that comes to mind is the Toyo AT2, it is one of the highest rated AT's on the market.

I second that you should only get MTs if you are gonna be more than 50% offroad.  Toyo, general and some others make an RT tire that is like a cross between an AT and MT if you want something that looks agressive and isn't too loud.

Looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler AT. I do go off road during hunting season but not for (mudding) And drive one the beach.  Looking at buying a tire and rim package but will definitely be 20" rims and I had 35 on my old 02 AV and looking to go back to that. guess next step is if I put 35" tires how wide could i go. i Don't want to tire to stick out past the truck to much and again not looking to rub.  I do like the idea of the heat gun to shape it a little.

those are good tires for what you are going to use them for.  Why are you going 20s?  I would think 17s or 18s would offer more sidewall and float for the beach and protection for the wheels when hunting

I've had those tires on a few of my trucks.  I'm going with 20" for the stance they give.  this was my Old 2002 AV trying to get back to that look with a little taller stance since this body style is a little bigger the the originals.

Attachments

• 1927831_6434835108_5923_n.jpg
    1927831_6434835108_5923_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 52
If you've had good luck with the Nittos, then I'd say stick with what you know and are comfortable with.
I don't like the Nittos, because I had two sets on a 3/4 ton truck that did not wear properly and maybe got 25K out of each set, for the amount of money you pay for the tires for 20s, they should last at least 40K.

Back