• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shirt rippers

TCLeslie

Does anyone know what the little t-shaped things are for on the tailgate latches, other than to rip holes in your shirt every time you go to get something out of the bed. I can't tell that they do anything except piss me off when they ruin my shirts so I'm thinking about cutting them off unless someone can tell me what they're for.

I believe they originally were to keep the tail gate from rattling, they had little rubber tips on them, a lot of members have done exactly what your thinking, grind them off!

Didit

OR peeps glued the rubber bumpers on...

I still have mine after 15 years...

Didit said:
I believe they originally were to keep the tail gate from rattling, they had little rubber tips on them, a lot of members have done exactly what your thinking, grind them off!

Didit
I lost the rubber pieces long ago, also came close to ripping more than a shirt on them  :laugh: :E:

Tell me about it wyotonka mine got more than a shirt

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,146718.msg2112262.html

0516151308_zpsob81vwaz.jpg

I retained the rubber bumpers on mine for 14 years by surrounding them with silicone caulk where they slipped over the metal bracket. If you don't want to replace the bumpers you can just cut the metal piece off flush to the tailgate, then paint the raw metal with some black paint.

I never noticed the shirt-rippers, mine might have stayed on.

Either that or I'm so used to ripping shirts building trucks what's another hole?  :D

Flint4x4 said:
I never noticed the shirt-rippers, mine might have stayed on.

Either that or I'm so used to ripping shirts building trucks what's another hole?  :D
until you are sitting on the tailgate and go to slide off the side  :eek: :E: :laugh:

I used some of the commonly found vinyl caps that come in various sizes and colors from the auto parts store to cover ours. The same ones (Yellow) have been on for many years now.

Back