• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

power steering pump leak behind pulley at input shaft?, just questions

tomboarderns

I am having the usual belt squeal on some days at start up and usually stops after about 5-10 minutes.  Within the last 3000 miles I have replaced the alternator and tensioner.  Belt looks good, all other pulleys spin nicely. 

I have noticed though that it looks like the bottom of the power steering pump is wet and more towards the front of the pump.  Behind the pulley the shaft going into the pump looks wet.  When I mean wet, more like damp.  Not a droplet on it and the fluid level going down is extremely slow. 

My questions: is this a typical point of a leak forming or can it be coming from something else I am not seeing?  Will the leak only get worse in this location?  I am assuming I need to buy a new pump to fix this?  Is this the obvious issue of my belt squeak.  Assuming the fluid is getting on the belt. 

I like my vehicles to run perfect, so a little squeak or leak just drives me crazy.

Thanks

I have the same leak (but no squeak), for the past two years.  No newd for me to top off or address - yet! (knock on wood).

Back