• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

The difference between a Z71 and Z66...

ngrome

Ok, so I'm mainly referring to a 2002 1500 like what I got, which is a Z71.  So I asked Uncle Google what the difference was between the Z71 and Z66 designations, and found that the Z71 was mainly tailored for off-road, maybe lifted slightly, and has 4WD.  While the Z66 is tailored for street touring, 2WD only, and anything else?  Frankly, I'm surprised they make a 2WD offering of the Avalanche, then again, I have a SUV that's a 2WD as I bought it when I lived in FL, unbeknownst to me I'd be moving back up north.

So for those who have the Z66 or 2WD AV's, how do you compensate in the winter weather?  Do you put on winter tires (of the best kind, what do you recommend)?  What else do you do for the lack of 4WD?  Is it that much tougher to drive in the snow and ice being 2WD?  I ask this because my Z71's 4WD is not working either and I don't have the money to get it fixed right now, but since I just got this from my bro-in-law this will be my first winter with the AV in 2WD mode all winter.  So any tips from the Z66 2WD'ers would be appreciated.

I have an 04 Z66 WBH.  Someone correct me if I am wrong but the Z66 has similar stance to the Z71 but is lacking 4wd, the skid plates and has different shocks, springs and swaybars more suited to on road driving.  I know the load leveling shocks were also an option on the Z66.  I just got some new wheels and tires for my AV which hopefully will help with the winter driving, but here in NC we don't get much snow so I am not too worried.  What is wrong with your 4wd?

aroberson7791 said:
I have an 04 Z66 WBH.  Someone correct me if I am wrong but the Z66 has similar stance to the Z71 but is lacking 4wd, the skid plates and has different shocks, springs and swaybars more suited to on road driving.  I know the load leveling shocks were also an option on the Z66.  I just got some new wheels and tires for my AV which hopefully will help with the winter driving, but here in NC we don't get much snow so I am not too worried.  What is wrong with your 4wd?

It's electronically controlled so when I push the 4WD Hi button, it stays lit but it doesn't kick in.  I read somewhere associated with the ECBM issue with ABS that if that unit is not working properly, it could also affect electronically controlled 4WD, though someone refuted it in one of my previous posts.  I'm hoping that's the case if I get the ECBM fixed, can kill two birds with one stone so to speak, unless it's something more mechanically related.  I have to replace the water pump first, that's the next order of business.  Thanks for your response.

Edit: Correction *EBCM, don't know why I always get the B and the C mixed up.

Z66 = PREMIUM ONROAD SUSPENSioN.
THink of it as the Z71 option for 2wd trucks

Don't worry about the winter with 2wd. The trick is friction.... Good tires are a must in the snow and ice, I won't even try anymore with all season.. 4wd with poor /all seasonal tires won't give you what you want. I'm on my 3rd AVY with 2wd in Canada with tons of snow & icy weather.. maybe you are coming here?  I've never been stuck, ever, but I always invest in winter rims (i.e. salt) and good winters tires. Continentals, and now Coopers. They cut snow like butter and support the ice treatment when encountered. Other brands I'm sure have their story and are reasonable.
If you have 4 x 4 and snows, yes that's better.
My first Avy was the Z66, still my favourite due to the Premium ride feature. I have a Z71 2wd now which many on this site would criticize (and have), but I like the trim Z71 provide, not a 4wd option. The 2wd drive is less weight, less repair, less maintenance, less cost..... I would go back to the Z66 if they had a 2017 Avy.. but they don't.
Buy good tires... don't cheap out.

I've been putting winter tires on my Z66 for the last dozen years or so and have never gotten stuck.  Lately I've been using Firestone Winterforce tires.

I bought an original, full color, sales brochure from an 05 from Amazon a while back.. My fianc?e asked me if I was crazy, and I assured her that I wasn't...

She said "you don't even have a 2005" and I told her that if it bothered her that much, I would go find a truck to match the brochure...  :laugh:

Bassman Z71 said:
My first Avy was the Z66, still my favourite due to the Premium ride feature.

Mine was in 2001, a 4x4 with the smooth ride package, maybe it was premium ride?
I think it handled better on snow & ice than the '04 Z71 I drove the next 12 years.

My opinion of 4WD is it instills overconfidence, if you can't do it in 2WD don't expect 4x4 to be magic.

Bassman Z71 said:
Don't worry about the winter with 2wd. The trick is friction.... Good tires are a must in the snow and ice, I won't even try anymore with all season.. 4wd with poor /all seasonal tires won't give you what you want. I'm on my 3rd AVY with 2wd in Canada with tons of snow & icy weather.. maybe you are coming here?  I've never been stuck, ever, but I always invest in winter rims (i.e. salt) and good winters tires. Continentals, and now Coopers. They cut snow like butter and support the ice treatment when encountered. Other brands I'm sure have their story and are reasonable.
If you have 4 x 4 and snows, yes that's better.
My first Avy was the Z66, still my favourite due to the Premium ride feature. I have a Z71 2wd now which many on this site would criticize (and have), but I like the trim Z71 provide, not a 4wd option. The 2wd drive is less weight, less repair, less maintenance, less cost..... I would go back to the Z66 if they had a 2017 Avy.. but they don't.
Buy good tires... don't cheap out.

First snow here in the Chicago area and my Z71 with the broken 4WD (i.e., in 2WD by default) has performed pretty well for the first time I'm driving it in this weather.  I do have decent tires though which helps.  If I was buying the truck with a choice between the two I'd probably choose the Z66, as Premium On Road Suspension sounds much nicer for a guy who barely goes off road, gravel being the most terrain I'd go through.  I'm also eyeing another vehicle for my wife that's 2WD and I agree with you, 2WD is less weight and less to deal with in terms of maintenance and cost. Maybe it's cheaper for me to buy a Z66 sticker than fix my 4WD, lol. :p    

ngrome said:
First snow here in the Chicago area and my Z71 with the broken 4WD (i.e., in 2WD by default) has performed pretty well for the first time I'm driving it in this weather.  I do have decent tires though which helps.  If I was buying the truck with a choice between the two I'd probably choose the Z66, as Premium On Road Suspension sounds much nicer for a guy who barely goes off road, gravel being the most terrain I'd go through.  I'm also eyeing another vehicle for my wife that's 2WD and I agree with you, 2WD is less weight and less to deal with in terms of maintenance and cost. Maybe it's cheaper for me to buy a Z66 sticker than fix my 4WD, lol. :p    

If you end up missing 4-wheel drive in the winter like I would, & are willing to roll the dice...........

The front differential (4-wheel drive) actuators are relatively cheap, in the scheme of things.  Also, it's one of the few 10 minute jobs that actually takes around 10 minutes.

Back