• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Worth $175 for updated maps

Acyducy

:help: I have a used 2013 Avalanche with the original map data. I notice the latest version is
GM - North America Map Update - DENSO Global A - v.2016
I just completed a 7000 plus mile road-trip towing a 21 foot trailer, and I notice several times the road I was on didn't exist on the map.
Has anyone bought this new update?  Is is worth the cost?  Seems a bit high to me when you compare updated data disk from Garmin. 
Is there an alternative to the GM product.

Thanks
Don

I bought it....
There was a truck by pass built around our little town, the new maps showed it! I was surprised...
If you can road trip 7000 miles without it ? Not sure if it's worth it. I hardly ever use the nav or OnStar for that matter...
My .02

I have never seen an alternative to the GM disc for the factory nav unit.
I always thought it was a rip off compared to the $75 lifetime navigation update program by Garmin. (trick there, is only good while they support the model GPS you own.)
I would say if you travel a lot you may want to buy the latest update to get new roads and info. I don't travel much anymore so I usually wait 2 to three years then buy the latest update.

Compared to the cost of other Mods... the update disk is a bargain! It was a must have here in the rapidly expanding Sacramento CA area...

That's what I do also Mentholized  since the 03-06 Nav disk have not been upgraded since 2012. I use the Nav  for hiway use. Then when I get close I swap over it my smartphone and use maps or mapquest. It gives you traffic warning and can redirect you.

I have a TomTom XXL and have purchased new maps with an annual subscription.

I think the newer ones may have lifetime updates, but my model is a five inch touch screen that is several years old and I really like it.

I also bought the TomTom iOS app for all of our iPhones.

It was the most expensive iPhone app I have ever purchased and was $39.00 at the time.

They update the app several times a year and it works exactly like my TomTom device.

A friend told me about the free Waze app.

I installed it and I am very impressed with it, as well.

Just got the email myself along with a $20 off coupon. Clicked it and when I saw the price, I closed it. I thought for sure it was a scam, but now that I see this post, I am surprised that GM would charge so much. I think I will stick with the current version and then use my iPhone if I get stuck. I could see paying $50, but in my honest opinion, they can take a hike on that price. Just my two cents worth...
Jake

If the GM nav has a separate screen from the radio you can add a sort of switch box to the unit. This will allow you to add additional inputs into it. There is also an android module that can be added to allow you to have android as a replacement for your navigation system but is available as a switched input to the interface box.

In my 2009 CTS it has a "silverbox" that has the hard drive and dvd player in it and the screen is on a motorized platform the rises out of the dash when needed for navigation but otherwise can stay down and will fully work as a radio. I was told this setup which was used from 2008-2013 in the CTS is also similar to the navigation units in other GM vehicles of the same years. The "silverbox" is the same used in all of them but the motorized screen was a slightly different design for obvious reasons.

Since my truck is an '03 I have no way to verify that. And my GF's 2013 doesn't have navigation.  If the Navigation is all one unit like it is for my truck if I had it then the interface won't work with it.

I will be updating the radio to the navigation unit in my CTS next spring and then once I verify that is working I will be adding the interface to that system. I have not seen instructions but the CTS forum had a link to a youtube video where someone added android to their CTS without any instructions but they showed the boxes they used to make it work. I plan to go the same route and document my path. I can share it here as well so that others can try with the trucks but like I said, I don't know what systems used this silverbox and I will start a new thread when I get to that point.

I would like to try Android Auto... been looking at that for a while now.  I will need an aftermarket HU to do this, still shopping.  Next year in April, supposedly there will be support for running Waze through Android Auto...  that will be cool!

Yep ...well worth it....My sister called me and asked where I was parked at the mall.....(new Mall) I looked at the display and told her 4th row ..6th stall in from the main drag....much better than the original 2013 version, better re-route and timing..
Also ...before up grading I bit my lip and brought in a Ebay special....well it was a mess...cables and plugs were wrong..and on and on...he stalled and stalled, watching the return times  on Ebay and Paypal.....with a week to go I pulled the stop and sent it all back via UPS, made them sign, and everything I could...
He refused to honor said I had smashed the screen...BULL because I has pictures of it being packed...UPS inspector made a surprise visit..said the box was not hurt, but someone had hit the screen with a screwdriver...
Bottom line I got all my $$$ back...BUT!!!

Considering all the free nav apps & lower priced aftermarket units available, buying a factory unit seems like it just locks you into a high priced & forever outdated unit. Yea, it's nice in the dash, but I don't use the Av exclusively & my phone will work in any rental car, boat, motorcycle, etc that I happen to be using.

I'm like you AirJuky. I use the factory Nav on the highway and a smart phone app in the city. You can get traffic reports, weather reports and reroute instructions.

But if they ever offer a update disc for the Gen 1 I'd buy it because they update the headunit, on sale of course. LOL

Back