• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Scary Halloween!

PerfectReign

SM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
Had to drive from LA to the high desert yesterday. I decided to give my soon-to-be 16-year-old some practice.

Imagine two hours in the passenger seat with a recently permitted driver.  Scary!!

HELm

10 and 2 pal, NOT 5 and 8, your not that good with dads AV yet!    hehe just an observation!

Didit

I've been telling him about that. I NEVER drive 10 and 2, becuase it is very hard to control. In any case, 5 and 8 is way more comfortable at 60mph. 

He only attempted to pick up his phone once.

Give us all his cell number and we can blow up his phone with tons of texts while you are in the passenger seat.

That way, if he reaches for the phone you can snatch it out of his hand and say "Now what did we discuss about texting and driving?"

:laugh:

Wow some members are sharing their age......10 and 2 position was before driver airbags.....now it's 9 and 3 for airbag equipped cars/trucks..... :laugh:

Didit said:
10 and 2 pal, NOT 5 and 8, your not that good with dads AV yet!    hehe just an observation!

Didit

Actually that has been changed it is recommended to place your hands low on the wheel because of the airbags.

I renewed my 55 Alive stuff to reduce my insurance 20% ast June, There were several sections on this and 4 & 8 were described as being preferred to allow less muscle tension on the upper arms and wrist.

Then later in the tour, it was saying the Air Bags will not throw your arms into you face at 4 & 8. Later it described the reduced possibility for steering over correction.

I'm old school too and have not spent enough time driving this summer to check this out. I did a 3 hour round trip drive to the resort on Saturday and my shoulders and arms were tired.

It is all a matter of choice and preference.  ???

I move between 8 and 10, either above or below the upper left hand spoke of the steering wheel.

Depends on the moment, whether my left arm is resting on the door arm rest or on the window sill.

Right arm is usually on the console arm rest, unless I need it to to help with a larger turn.

My first vehicle was a manual shift and you had your right hand busy for a part of the time.

I learned to drive like this and it has served me just fine all of these years.

Probably can't be convinced to change, at this point.

I sit here wondering how many of you older guys, like me, remember driving with a steering wheel knob.

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone if you just raised your hand.

(y)

In my hour commute, I usually have my right thumb at 6 or maybe 7, while the left holds my coffee.  When I need to shift (driving my 5-speed Jetta), I swap the coffee to my left, use my knee to steer, and shift with my right arm.

I thought you were supposed to lean back and rest your wrist on the top of the wheel.  :p  >:D :cool:

frito said:
I thought you were supposed to lean back and rest your wrist on the top of the wheel.  :p  >:D :cool:

I only do this when I have a pack of Lucky's rolled up in my white T-shirt sleeve and only then when I am slicking my hair back with my comb in the other hand.

:laugh:

Didit said:
10 and 2 pal, NOT 5 and 8, your not that good with dads AV yet!    hehe just an observation!

Didit

As I see others have already commented, it's been changed, Didit. 9 and 3 have been the recommendation for quite a few years now.

I know, you are old and set in your ways and don't want to keep up with the changing times!  >:D

10 & 2 are from before power steering  :D 

With tilt steering, 10 way adjustable seats, adjustable pedals I'm not sure there is a correct position to hold the steering wheel. My Avalanche could be set up to accommodate you no matter your arm or leg length.

I hold the steering wheel at 7 and 2, I think that came about after my shoulder injury when my left was still in a sling. Driving a stick shift injured is an adventure, I've turned my crutch upside down and used it operate the clutch.

I thought due to airbags in wheel you should go 9 & 3.. so arms are not hit by bag if it goes off.

I thought he watch Top Gear that is how Jeremy Clarkson drives.

Flint4x4 said:
10 & 2 are from before power steering  :D 

With tilt steering, 10 way adjustable seats, adjustable pedals I'm not sure there is a correct position to hold the steering wheel. My Avalanche could be set up to accommodate you no matter your arm or leg length.

I hold the steering wheel at 7 and 2, I think that came about after my shoulder injury when my left was still in a sling. Driving a stick shift injured is an adventure, I've turned my crutch upside down and used it operate the clutch.

That sounds adventurous with the crutch assertive device.  :eek:

I've had both shoulders done, Left in 2004 and the right in 2009.

While recovering from the left shoulder, I had to deal with arm strength, range of motion, and moderate discomfort. It was very distracting but better than trying to keep the left hand on the wheel. My left thumb is close enough to the wheel to have a grasp at 7 - 8 and provide proper stabilization for pot holes, bumps and jumps of the wheel.

I have a hand brake and throttle and can still use the pedals, but the hand controls allow for a more relaxed drive and less stress on the right leg.

I sold my 4 speed vehicle a few months before the industrial injury that took my feet. I can and have driven some manual transmission vehicles on occasion over the years. One time was driving a friends car to San Francisco from SoCal.

My left foot had a hard time initially learning or accepting the proprioception for where the clutch pedal was and the brake & clutch pedals were so close together I ofter hit them both at the same time when shifting.

I learned I could not drive older VW vans because the placement of the steering wheel did not allow me to raise the left knee high enough to get the left foot over & on the clutch pedal.

Stupid left foot.  :p

Cat Dancer said:
That sounds adventurous with the crutch assertive device.  :eek:

Broken left foot, it worked but learned I could operate clutch/brake/accelerator with right foot only easier.

The steering wheel hand positions made me laugh as I've had to drive a stick with one hand or one foot.

I only drove injured when necessary, it gives you some respect for disabled drivers.

Line from an old Doors song Roadhouse Blues: "Keep your eyes on the road your hand upon the wheel". Great safe driving tip unless you consider a later lyric,... "Woke up this morning and got myself a beer"  :rolleyes:

A 12-year-old girl is dead and six others injured after a single-vehicle rollover crash Monday night, three children were thrown from the mid-sized SUV after the 18-year-old driver traveling north on I-475 lost control around 7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31

I think it was a Buick Rendezvous, 18 year old girl driving and all 6 passengers younger.

Scary Halloween! The southbound side was still closed after 11:00 p.m. when I drove home from work.

Not all young drivers are bad drivers, there are plenty of experienced bad drivers too.

Flint4x4 said:
A 12-year-old girl is dead and six others injured after a single-vehicle rollover crash Monday night, three children were thrown from the mid-sized SUV after the 18-year-old driver traveling north on I-475 lost control around 7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31

I think it was a Buick Rendezvous, 18 year old girl driving and all 6 passengers younger.

Scary Halloween! The southbound side was still closed after 11:00 p.m. when I drove home from work.

Not all young drivers are bad drivers, there are plenty of experienced bad drivers too.

Not good.

That said, I wanted to slap the sh!t out of a young girl, I'd guess she was maybe 18, on the way home from work last night. She was more interested in texting than paying attention to driving. She was driving in the left lane behind me and would run up my a$$, then back way off, and was weaving all over the lane. I watched her in my rear view mirror to make sure she wouldn't hit me; she was looking down at the phone at least 80% of the time. I slowed down just enough that she went around me on the right, then cut in front of me. This was in rush hour traffic and she was going nowhere fast. I just didn't want her behind me!

We always told our daughter if she was ever caught texting or answered the phone while driving that we would take the car. She knew we meant it.

Back