• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What would you do?

ygmn

This is a Custom Title
Staff Member
Administrator
Charter Member
PM 2024
PM 2023
PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
you have a choice between 2 trucks:

#1 = Your 2002 Z66 avy (a lot like mine)
I bought in 2001
setup as you like it with your pioneer xMP3 player with lifetime subscription.
Rear facing lights... loaded for 2002 everything but block heater
157k miles
Yearly state fees = $30
Figure worth $5k as trade in if I beg and plead

#2 = 2014 white silverado 2wd crew cab 6ft bed LT without many options. XM turned off, cloth seats, just the big dopey radio/touchscreen chevy had in 2014. low miles around 20K - tool box in rear. V8 engine.
20k miles.
Given to you via someone's will.
Yearly state fees = $600 for next year, then 500 then about 400 then down to the $30 when she is 5 years old.
Figure worth $24k as trade in

No need to keep both as you want to get a 4 door car to drive to airport for work not the truck
The truck will be used for Home depot, landscape etc... so low yearly mileage I figure 2-4k per year on truck

The one you do not keep you trade in on this new/Certified Used car.

I have been hemming and hawing this for weeks.
I cannot see keeping both as that is like having 2 identical riding lawnmowers but with a yearly bill for each.

Arggggggggg...

???

The only thing wrong with the Z66 is that it's not a Z71 ;)

But seriously, the issues are that the Z66 is a 2002 and has some miles. That pickup would be nice to cruise in, but as soon as those rears loose grip you're going to wish you had the Avvy...

I think we all can offer our .02 worth but the decision needs to be yours ygmn.......
Think of it this way...what are your transportation needs over the next 5-10 years and will your existing fleet meet those needs? Both vehicles are in effect paid for and all you need to do is pay taxes,insurance and maintenance fees.
Is the 4 dr car you are looking at costing less then the AV or other truck if you traded for it?
Why can't you use the new pickup to go to the airport?
With the new pickup you would have truck functions and capabilities if the AV was broken down or off road due to restoration efforts etc.
My .02 is if you love your AV and it meets your needs and if there is an emotional attachment that you may want to pass the AV down to a family member then consider selling the new truck and get a cheaper car for everyday/airport duty then use the leftover money to refurbish the AV so it last longer. It seems like you don't really love the new truck so it seems to me that you have kind of made up your mind already......I hope it doesn't hurt any surviving family members if you get rid of the new truck.......
Good luck with your decision.

You got me at
Yearly state fees = $30
- I still pay around $200 for my 2006.

Seriously, I'd keep the AV. You know the vehicle. You have the entire service history. It has hardly any miles.

Sell the Silverado and get a commuter car.  Works for me.

So if I am reading this correctly, you will be trading either the AV or the pickup for what will become your daily driver and the truck you keep will be your backup/hauling vehicle.  If that is true, I would keep the AV for the following (logical vs. emotional) reasons:
  • The annual taxes are less.  No need to spend more on a backup vehicle
  • You will get more money out of the pickup which can be used for a nicer daily driver
  • I wouldn't be too worried about repairs/things breaking on the AV since you won't be driving it much

If the truck vehicle is just a box store tripper, then the AVY would be a good choice.

What is this yearly state fee you speak of?

What is the difference in insurance between the two?

I got a much lower insurance rate on my 1993 Ford Explorer because it is now classified as "For Recreational Use" and I am limited to 7000 miles annually.

The first few years I had to send in a mileage statement to the insurance company.

But once they saw I averaged about 700 miles a year, they quit wasting stamps on me.

With that few miles being driven, the classification works for us and I no long see any point in full coverage since it won't pay anything anyway.

Something to consider.

I would probably hold on to the AV, if it were me.

Substantially less yearly fees.
You know what has been done to it, and how it has been treated.
Lifespan is essentially endless since it will only be driven a few thousand miles a year.
It is comfortable, and there when you need it.
It is part of the family essentially, so theres that small bit of emotional attachment

Trade the Silverado and get the money's worth out of it. Or sell it yourself and make a little more
Buy a nice little sporty car, with good options. Something comfortable to cruise in, and optioned as you'd like.
Chances are you can find something nice with no difference.

Keep the AV it will be a lower cost since you don't drive it that much, but if it's rust bucket trade it.
I don't think 4wd is needed in your area.

After the 05 Katrina episode, you were extolling the wonderful virtues for having your Avalanche. I'm sure we've all had those Ah Ha moments more than once.

You have the Avalanche set up as you desire and, as mentioned earlier, there may be some possible cash to provide for impending maintenance that you know is coming.

You more than any of us know and understand this vehicle better than we do and have learned from many others with their mistakes. That was my motivation for seeking out this site. I had no clue for any aspect of the drive train or mechanics of the Avalanche.

You'll do the right thing to suit your needs now and in the future too.

Thanks for what you have been doing for us.  :love:

YEarly fee is registration & taxes. Cheap In MS after vehicle is 5 years old as taxes go to 0.

Mileage on this hauler would be very low like I said 2-4K per year just to keep the parts moving and not rot.

My avy is in great shape no rust and 2wd has worked for me for 15 years and I do not offroad nor does it snow here. DEEP SOUTH.

Airport car would only get 5-7K miles per year as I do not drive that much.
Reason for airport car is the parking @ airport is PIA with truck as you get less spots to choose from and they always tend to be full so I end up in BFE and have to hoof it to get thru security. 

I have this car choses and what it is I am trying to put aside for this decision.

I think I have made up my mind but it is the wife I have to convince as she is thinking opposite - keep the newer truck with else miles. What I see is the newer will end up costing me more.

I know my avy needs the ABS module thing soldered - Maybe as the light only comes on when I am braking and hit bumps that shake truck.

Silvy does have dent in rear bumper whereas my avy is dent free....

Thanks for comments.... 

I still have time to choose.

PS anyone want to buy a 1927 Buick?

you guys are lucky, taxes kill me in NC, my 2007 acura was almost $200 a year, and with the whole "weighted" deal my Avy is $300 a year.  I would probably sell the 14 for 26k and get something like an older civic to commute to the airport with, and invest the 16k you will have left. 

aroberson7791 said:
you guys are lucky, taxes kill me in NC, my 2007 acura was almost $200 a year, and with the whole "weighted" deal my Avy is $300 a year.  I would probably sell the 14 for 26k and get something like an older civic to commute to the airport with, and invest the 16k you will have left. 

Hmmm..I am in NC also, but I don't have weighted plates.  Maybe switch to regular plates to save a bit of those taxes?

Thanks for the response on the yearly state fee.

Here in Arkansas, the biggest tax you pay is the sales tax on the purchase price less your trade in.

If the value of your purchase price less trade in is less that $2500, you pay no sales tax on that vehicle purchase.

So, if you are just looking for a knock around hooptie, then it is best to shop in the $2500 range or lower.

The sales tax percentage rate varies according to the county you live in.

That is due at the time you first get your new tags or when you transfer your previous tags from your trade in.

Once and done.

If you purchase an extended warranty at the car dealership, you have to fork over the sales tax on that amount also at the time you get your new or transferred tags.

There is an annual personal property tax due once a year on your land, buildings, motor vehicles, boats and trailers.

That annual personal property tax is fairly small and declines slightly with the age and value of the vehicle, but it never totally goes away.

As long as the vehicle or trailer is listed on your personal property list, you will pay some sort of PP tax on it.

Personal property taxes are paid to your county and may include taxes for your local town, as well.

Trailers can be licensed for life, boats are licensed for three years and autos are yearly.

The vanity plates for my EXT are $57.75 a year.

Regular tags are $27.75 a year.

Both prices include the cost of them mailing out your new stickers.

At 25 years of age, you can purchase a lifetime Antique Automobile tag that is good for life.

So, if you lived here, your annual cost to keep either vehicle would be the small PP tax due annually, the cost of your tag renewal, and the cost of the insurance you choose to carry.

I pay about $18.00 a month for my Explorer with it's coverage and a little less than $60 a month for the EXT which has full coverage.

All of our over cars, even if they are newer, are a little less than the EXT.

Other than a little bit of gas and maintenance, the Explorer is costing me around $245 a year to sit beside the house and to perform back up car duty when needed.

I can't hardly rent a car for that.

EXT4ME said:
Thanks for the response on the yearly state fee.

In Michigan it's the "no fault" insurance that gouges you, full coverage on my '04 AV was still $2000/year.

I think registration (license plates) drop to $50 annually eventually but were still $147 on my '04.

Sales tax is 6% at purchase or you pay it when you transfer title if it's a private sale.
An unusual amount of used cars seem to sell for $100 (the minimum) and pay only $6  :p 

Flint4x4 said:
In Michigan it's the "no fault" insurance that gouges you, full coverage on my '04 AV was still $2000/year.

$2000 per year just for an 04 AV!!!

We paid about $2500 a year for full coverage on 02 and 03 AVs, 00 Corvette, and a 13 Kia Rio, with a 22 year old male driver besides the Mrs and myself.

Flint4x4 said:
An unusual amount of used cars seem to sell for $100 (the minimum) and pay only $6  :p 

In Washington it's the same way, except there they look up the KBB of the vehicle and take the higher of the two values.

ARMYtango said:
Hmmm..I am in NC also, but I don't have weighted plates.  Maybe switch to regular plates to save a bit of those taxes?

I am planning on it, not sure if I can do that now or have to "weight" :p until next year. 

enoniam said:
$2000 per year just for an 04 AV!!!

Just me and the wife, over 50 no points on either license. Over $2,000 for '04 AV and S10 but only PL/PD on the S10. They valued the '04 at $16,400 when I totaled it, the '11 Acadia is almost same value.

Back