• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replace Spark Plugs

bald1der

So I got a notice from Onstar that my truck is approaching 100,000 miles.  Me being the lazy MF that I have become in my old age call the dealer to inquire how much they charge to replace the spark plugs.  Damn they must be on drugs!!  $250.00 and that's just labor!  Now I realize that they have to pay labor and keep the lights on but damn!!!  So my question is do I need any "special" tools to replace the spark plugs in a 07 Avy 5.3?  Is there anything I need to be careful of?  I haven't replaced spark plug in a car in about 20 years but I'm sure the basics are still the same.  Might as well replace the wires while I'm at it.  Thanks in advance.

Once you start, it never ends. There are lot more items to be managed at the 100K mile mark. Take a cursory look at the Owners Manual for that list.

Don't know about the second generation, but I was able to do mine in half an hour to an hour.  Pretty easy job.  The O2 sensors on the other hand... After hours of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench and a torch I still couldn't get them out and had to take it to the shop.

Cat Dancer said:
Once you start, it never ends. There are lot more items to be managed at the 100K mile mark. Take a cursory look at the Owners Manual for that list.

I know there's more to do, I've already changed all the fluids including Rad, brake.  The Plugs appear to be the last major thing on my list.

I posted this in the Maintenance section a few days ago and didn't get much traction so I'm posting here hoping for a little more.  Just trying to get some answers before I but these plugs and start digging in.  I want to make sure I won't run into any issues.  :B:

So I got a notice from Onstar that my truck is approaching 100,000 miles.  Me being the lazy MF that I have become in my old age call the dealer to inquire how much they charge to replace the spark plugs.  Damn they must be on drugs!!  $250.00 and that's just labor!  Now I realize that they have to pay labor and keep the lights on but damn!!!  So my question is do I need any "special" tools to replace the spark plugs in a 07 Avy 5.3?  Is there anything I need to be careful of?  I haven't replaced spark plug in a car in about 20 years but I'm sure the basics are still the same.  Might as well replace the wires while I'm at it.  Thanks in advance.

No special tools needed just basic spark plug socket, various extensions and a six pack.

Stick with AC Delco Iridium's, many have had trouble with other brands. Most find it a good time to replace the wires (twist the boot first to break it free) and make sure you put a dab of anti-size on the spark plug threads and dielectric grease on the inside of the boots.

NO need to post this twice in multiple sections because you did not get enough replies.

Please... one post in the most appropriate section.

Randy said:
No special tools needed just basic spark plug socket, various extensions and a six pack.

Stick with AC Delco Iridium's, many have had trouble with other brands. Most find it a good time to replace the wires (twist the boot first to break it free) and make sure you put a dab of anti-size on the spark plug threads and dielectric grease on the inside of the boots.

Thanks for the information.  That's all I needed to know. 

Randy said:

The six-pack being the most important part of the tool kit....you'll need it!
Changing the spark plugs on my 8.1 wasn't too bad, but the biggest problem was getting the spark plug wires to come off without wrecking them. There is not enough room between the spark plug boot and the exhaust manifold to fit in boot pliers.  :E:
In the end, I just used my fingers to twist and pull. You gotta grip those buggers real good - like hanging off the edge of a cliff good.
Here's where the importance of that six-pack comes in!!  >:D

CarMech1969

Replacing them is not too difficult, the hardest one is the drivers side rear cylinder (closest to the firewall), its a knuckle scraper! haha... Get a good stepstool, some gloves, a few different wobble extensions and you will be fine. I have swapped mine out twice since owning it and have also done the coil leads too. Not that difficult, just sometimes a tad awkward leaning all the way over the engine to get the rear ones out!

Good luck

frito said:
The O2 sensors on the other hand... After hours of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench and a torch I still couldn't get them out and had to take it to the shop.

The only way I was able to get the passenger side pre-cat O2 sensor out was to jack up the truck, take off the tire, remove the wheel well plastic guard thing, slap a wrench on the sensor, with a baseball bat on the handle side, then slowly lower the AV, so the pressure of the AV itself would break the O2 sensor free....

Troublemaker said:
The only way I was able to get the passenger side pre-cat O2 sensor out was to jack up the truck, take off the tire, remove the wheel well plastic guard thing, slap a wrench on the sensor, with a baseball bat on the handle side, then slowly lower the AV, so the pressure of the AV itself would break the O2 sensor free....

Damn!!!

Troublemaker said:
Did the right way on my Bimmer this this time.  Impact wrench with a loaner impact O2 sensor socket from Advance Auto.  Wish I owned that impact wrench when I did the Avy. 

The head of mine was so rounded out by the time I gave up not much would have worked.

Back